En esta nueva serie, los periodistas de la BBC te ayudan a practicar inglés con los titulares de las noticias de la semana. Mira el video y aprende nuevo vocabulario.
Titulares y transcripción en inglés:
A cloudy day in rural North Rhine-Westphalia – OK for the coal mines and wind turbines, less so for the solar tower, which is why scientists at the German Aerospace Centre have taken their research indoors. This is the world’s largest artificial sun, composed of 149 film projection lights that together emit a beam that is 1,000 times the strength of a regular household bulb and 10,000 times the strength of the sun’s rays here on earth - and scientists here can use it to test the solar power instruments of the future.
A 101-year-old Indian woman has won the 100-metre sprint at the World Masters Games in Auckland: the 17th gold medal in the Indian athlete’s remarkable career. Participation, rather than racing against the clock, is the priority for Man Kaur. More than 25,000 athletes from 100 countries are taking part in the event.
Residents of Burton Fleming await new arrivals. They are a bit prickly apparently, but in desperate need of a fresh start. From an animal sanctuary 40 miles away, they finally arrived – 52 hedgehogs, all found sick or injured across the north of England. Veronica and her husband Frank from the charity Andrews Hedgehog Hospital. They believe the village of Burton Fleming, now considered 'hedgehog friendly', will give the animals the best chance. Assessing hedgehog numbers is tricky but in the 1950s it’s thought there were around 30 million in Britain, but now conservationists believe numbers have plummeted to under one million.
energy from the sun that has been converted into electricity
unusual; worthy of attention
place of safety and protection
Use one of the words or phrases from Lingohack to complete each of these sentences. Note that you may have to change the form of a word or phrase to complete the sentence correctly.
solar power / remarkable / sanctuary
1. My niece is a ________ student – she is only 15 but has won a place in a very famous university.
2. The first elephant ________ in Latin America has opened in Brazil to provide a home for an estimated 50 circus animals from across the region.
3. As gas and renewable energy sources such as wind and ________have become more popular, the use of coal has decreased.
1. My niece is a remarkable student – she is only 15 but has won a place in a very famous university.
2. The first elephant sanctuary in Latin America has opened in Brazil to provide a home for an estimated 50 circus animals from across the region.
3. As gas and renewable energy sources such as wind and solar power have become more popular, the use of coal has decreased.