Regimen de ejercicio para la policía en Tailandia. Vea el video y aprenda nuevo vocabulario.
Transcripción en inglés
Thailand’s police force is in a battle to beat the bulge.
It might not be the most rigorous training but these officers are trying their hardest.
The fitness programme in Bangkok includes a daily workout and healthy eating.
They have an extra incentive: a prize worth $160 is up for grabs for the officer who loses the most weight.
to beat the bulge
to lose weight (especially around the stomach area)
rigorous thorough and strict
workout a session of physical exercise
something to encourage someone to do something
up for grabs
available for anyone to winWatch the video online: Thai police fight the fat http://bbc.in/14ZIXz1
Use one of the words or phrases below to complete each of these sentences from news reports.
Note that you may have to change the form of a word to complete the sentence correctly.
to beat the bulge / rigorous / workout / incentive / up for grabs
1. In his younger days, close associates often complained of the president's schedule, which began with a ________ in the gym or a game of squash.
3. The army, the police, local politicians and the insurgents are all believed to make significant money from the rampant smuggling of everything from drugs, to people, to diesel fuel, in this border region. There seems little incentive to risk bold _________ that might end the fighting.
5. Recruits needed to pass a __________ six-week training course before they could wear the coveted Green Beret.
1. In his younger days, close associates often complained of the president's schedule, which began with a workout in the gym or a game of squash.
Source: Profile: Hosni Mubarak
2. A Subway operator, Strathclyde Partnership for Transport (SPT), is marking the anniversary with giveaways. One year's free Subway travel will be up for grabs, along with free ticket offers for 115 other Subway users.
Source: Glasgow Subway system marks 115th anniversary
Source: Putting a face to the conflict in Thailand's south
http://bbc.in/WLhSfXBeating the bulge
Source: Remote controlled weight loss
5. Recruits needed to pass a rigorous six-week training course before they could wear the coveted Green Beret.
Source: On the trail of Britain's WWII 'explosive' beauty spots