Coventry & Warwickshire

Police rescue man from house fire in Coventry

Image caption Officers spotted the fire whilst on a routine patrol

A man and his pets were rescued from a burning house by police officers on a routine patrol in Coventry.

Pcs Jahan Rehan and Kurt Pfadenhauer spotted the fire at a property on Meadfoot Road at 1800 BST on Friday.

They went into the house and found the man, in his 40s, disorientated and suffering from smoke inhalation, West Midlands Police said.

The officers helped him from the property, before returning to save his two dogs and budgie.

An ambulance was called and the man was taken to hospital where he was treated for the effects of smoke inhalation.

Fire crews also attended the scene, and discovered the fire was the result of a faulty electric heater.

Pc Pfadenhauer said: "Given the fact the man could not see, I doubt he would have managed to get out if we hadn't spotted the fire and acted quickly."

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites