South West Wales

Electrical fault causes Swansea community centre blaze

A fire which severely damaged an empty community centre in Swansea was caused by an electrical fault, according to the city council.

Police and fire investigators launched an inquiry after fire crews spent four hours at the scene in Bonymaen.

Swansea council said groups which use the centre would be found alternative venues.

Emergency services were called to the scene at about 2220 BST on Tuesday and were stood down at 0200 BST.

Mid and West Wales Fire Service said the building was severely damaged.

Councillor Alan Robinson, who is responsible for community regeneration on Swansea council, said: "This is awful news but we'll do all we can to minimise the disruption to centre users the damage left by the fire will inevitably cause.

He said they would work alongside the centre's voluntary management committee and would continue to keep people informed.

"There's a fantastic community spirit in Bonymaen and it's hugely encouraging to see how many people and groups have already been in touch to offer their support."

Swansea council said the fire service had reported that the blaze was caused by an electrical fault.

The building, which was set to be used by a playgroup for more than 150 children on Wednesday, will be closed for the foreseeable future.

Officers from the council's buildings team will now work with the community centre's voluntary management committee to relocate activities to other venues.

Three fire crews from Swansea and Morriston were called out and a turn table ladder, also from Morriston, was also used.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites