Edinburgh, Fife & East Scotland

Passer-by rescues woman from Whitburn fire

A 53-year-old woman was rescued from a blaze in West Lothian after a passer-by spotted smoke coming from her home.

The 43-year-old woman saw the smoke and went into the house in Woodmuir Road, Whitburn, just after 2000 BST on Saturday.

After finding a chip pan on fire, she used a damp cloth to extinguish it before rescuing the householder.

She was later treated in hospital for smoke inhalation.

Lothian and Borders Fire Service said the woman who was rescued also suffered smoke inhalation but did not need hospital treatment.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites