Wales

RSPCA issues appeal after cats die from poisoning

The RSPCA has appealed for information after two cats died from poisoning within days of each other.

The pets, who lived in neighbouring homes in Pontypridd, Rhondda Cynon Taf, died after ingesting anti-freeze.

The first incident happened on 22 May in Pontshonnorton Road when a 10-month-old cat named Fred collapsed and died in his owner's house.

The second cat also died a few days later, and the RSPCA said the incidents were "suspicious".

Similar incidents have been reported in the past 12 months at Brithdir in Caerphilly county and Bridgend.

The first cat in Pontypridd was taken to a vet who investigated and confirmed that the animal had drunk anti-freeze.

Fred's owner, Helen Crowther, said: "I was in pieces when I found Fred on the kitchen floor. All I could do was hold him."

The RSPCA has issued an appeal about the two incidents.

RSPCA inspector Simon Evans said: "The fact that two cats died within days of each other is very suspicious and we need the public to come forward with more information.

"Anti-freeze is very toxic to cats and sadly once ingested they suffer from kidney failure within a few days."

He added: "Effective treatment is only available if caught within the first 24 hours but this is not normally possible as the cat shows no sign of being unwell within this time.

"By the time the cats show signs of illness there is nothing that can be done to save them."

Anyone found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal could face up to six months in prison or a £20,000 fine under the Animal Welfare Act, he said.

Anyone with information regarding the incident should ring the RSPCA on 0300 1234999.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites