Bristol

Safety fears for World Cup big screen venue

Football fans
Image caption Some fans claimed there was still plenty of space inside

A review of security arrangements is to take place after hundreds of football fans were turned away from a big screen in Bristol.

A park for up to 11,000 fans had been set up in Queen Square, but this was not big enough to take all those watching Saturday's World Cup match.

There were angry confrontations with officials and at one point a section of security fencing was ripped down.

Organisers said they had to put safety first, but lessons have been learnt.

Some fans told BBC News there was plenty of space inside and the barriers should be taken down.

But Simon Cook from Bristol City Council said once capacity had been reached the venue had to be closed for "health and safety reasons".

"We've had a huge turnout. We've had to turn people away which is unfortunate.

"We are sorry about that, but we have always said to the police that we will be very careful about numbers and make sure that we don't have any more people in the square than we can handle," Mr Cook added.

Insp Nick Hunt, of Avon and Somerset Police, said there had been no more arrests than on a normal Saturday night.

A similar event in Castlefield Arena, Manchester, saw four men aged between 19 and 37 arrested for affray.

More than 10,000 fans attended the ticket-only event.

Greater Manchester Police described the event as "good-natured".

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites