Hotel evacuated after Garforth waste depot fire
A hotel and several homes were evacuated after a fire broke out at a waste depot on the outskirts of Leeds.
A total of 150 firefighters tackled the blaze at the WasteCare site in Garforth which started on Thursday morning.
The fire service said three firefighters were admitted to hospital for a check-up. The blaze had been brought under control by 1300 BST.
Guests at the Holiday Inn spent the night at other hotels and houses in Hawthorn Terrace were evacuated.
All major roads that converge on the Garforth roundabout, including the A63 Selby Road and A642 Wakefield Road, were closed.
West Yorkshire Police said some had since reopened.
Residents in the Garforth area have been advised by the Health Protection Agency to remain indoors and keep windows closed.
The WasteCare website says the company specialises in handling hazardous waste and "difficult" non-hazardous waste that cannot be put in a landfill site.
This includes chemicals, batteries, fluorescent tubing, vegetable oils, printing and photographic, dry cleaning, electrical, catering, packaging and toxic waste.
Yorkshire Water confirmed drinking water had not been affected by the fire and the only effect residents could notice, was low pressure due to the water demand of the fire service.
Staff from Yorkshire Water and the Environment Agency were working to prevent run-off from the firefighting operations entering a beck at the site.
Firefighters were trying to reduce the smoke plume over the Garforth area by using foam on the fire.
Emergency planning officers from Leeds City Council and the Highways Agency were also at the scene.