Alan Gross pleads for personal Obama intervention

Supporters of Alan Gross, seen on poster at left, hold an event to mark his fourth year in prison in Cuba, 3 December 2013 Gross' supporters rallied outside the White House on Tuesday

Related Stories

A US man imprisoned in Cuba has asked President Barack Obama to intervene personally to help win his release.

On the fourth anniversary of his arrest, Alan Gross, 64, wrote to Mr Obama to say he feared the US government had "abandoned" him.

Gross was setting up internet access for Cuba's small Jewish community on behalf of a US government aid agency. He was sentenced to 15 years in prison.

The White House has publicly called for Gross' unconditional release.

On Tuesday, White House press secretary Jay Carney told reporters he was unsure whether Mr Obama had read Gross' letter but said the US president had "personally engaged foreign leaders and other international figures to use their influence with Cuba to promote Mr Gross's release".

His detention has been a sticking point in otherwise thawing relations between the two countries, which broke off diplomatic relations in 1961 after Cuba aligned with the Soviet Union.

Gross was working for a firm under contract with the US Agency for International Development (USAID) at the time of his arrest.

Cuba's government considers the development agency's work a way for the US to undermine the island nation's communist government.

'Isolated'
Alan Gross at Finlay military hospital in Havana, Cuba 27 November 2012 Alan Gross said he had been "powerless" to help his family

In his letter to Mr Obama, released on a website maintained by his family, he wrote he has "lost almost everything" over the past four years and that his family has "suffered tremendously".

"It is clear to me, Mr President, that only with your personal involvement can my release be secured," he wrote.

Gross said he is kept in a tiny cell with two other men for 23 hours a day and he sleeps little between untreated arthritis and lights that are never turned off.

"With the exception of a few phone calls and visits, I am completely isolated from the outside world," Gross wrote. He said he had asked his adult daughters to not visit him.

"With the utmost respect, Mr President, I fear that my government - the very government I was serving when I began this nightmare - has abandoned me. Officials in your administration have expressed sympathy and called for my unconditional release, and I very much appreciate that. But it has not brought me home."

Gross has previously sued the firm he was working for, Development Alternatives Inc, and the US government for "failing to take adequate measures" to train and protect him during his travels to Cuba.

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More US & Canada stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • FrogsBright...but deadly

    The vivid skin of the Amazon's golden poison arrow frog contains toxins strong enough to kill a human

Programmes

  • Islamic StateClick Watch

    Can the location of Islamic State militants be found with open source data?

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.