Graeme Trudgill
Media playback is unsupported on your device

Are riots covered by insurance?

Homes and businesses in cities across the UK have been damaged in a fourth night of rioting and looting.

Many people will now looking to their insurance policies to see if they are covered.

The Association of British Insurers has told the BBC that basic home insurance should cover fire damage and looting.

Businesses with commercial policies have similar cover, with some even compensating for interruption to trade.

Graeme Trudgill is head of corporate affairs at the British Insurance Brokers Association, he told the BBC the insurance costs from the riots could reach £100 million.

Go to next video: Will insurance cover riot damage?