Campylobacter bacteria
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Video

Campylobacter victim: 'I was completely paralysed'

Consumers are being warned to stop washing raw chicken as doing so increases the risk of food poisoning.

Rinsing poultry can spread campylobacter onto hands, work surfaces, clothing and cooking equipment and although most people who fall ill from the bacteria will recover, it can cause serious lasting damage.

Ann Edwards told the BBC she was completely paralysed when she fell victim to the bacteria, and that she still has some paralysis in her feet and low stamina more than 17 years later.

  • 16 Jun 2014
  • From the section Health
Go to next video: Raw chicken 'should not be washed'