Ransomware spike blamed on easy-to-use malware builders
Security experts say a sharp increase in ransomware attacks is in part a result of how easy the malware is to acquire.
Researchers at Cylance and AlienVault were able to find off-the-shelf ransomware using a normal search engine, which could then be used to lock victims' computer files and blackmail them.
- Hiding out among the net's criminals
- How long until Ukraine is hacked again?
- Pay your fare using a 3D face map
- Cash machine hacked in five minutes
This week BBC News is taking a close look at all aspects of cyber-security. The coverage is timed to coincide with the two biggest shows in the security calendar - Black Hat and Def Con.
26 Jul 2017
- From the section Technology