Firefighters tackle a large blaze at a recycling centre in Smethwick near Birmingham
Media playback is unsupported on your device

Chinese lantern 'caused' huge blaze at Smethwick plant

Firefighters have called for the use of Chinese lanterns to be limited, or even banned , after one was blamed for causing a massive fire at a plastics recycling plant in the West Midlands.

More than 200 fire crew members attended the fire in Smethwick. Three of them were taken to hospital.

The Chinese lantern was spotted on CCTV floating into the site. Jeremy Cooke reports.

  • 01 Jul 2013
  • From the section UK
Go to next video: Lanterns blamed for factory blaze