Sharon Wood
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Video

Corfu deaths: 'Thomas Cook failed our family'

Holiday firm Thomas Cook "breached its duty of care" in the case of two children who died from carbon monoxide poisoning while on holiday in Corfu, an inquest jury has concluded.

Jurors returned a verdict of unlawful killing of Bobby and Christi Shepherd, who were aged six and seven.

The childrens' father, Neil Shepherd, and their mother, Sharon Wood, both blamed Thomas Cook for not identifying the lethal boiler.

The children died at the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel in October 2006.

A criminal trial was held in Greece in 2010 and three people, including the manager of the Louis Corcyra Beach Hotel and two members of staff, were found guilty of manslaughter by negligence and sentenced to seven years.

Eight other people were cleared, including two Thomas Cook travel reps.

In a statement Thomas Cook said: "The systems in place in 2006, which were intended to prevent such a tragedy, have since been thoroughly revised and address the criticisms made by the jury".

"Thomas Cook works with dedicated specialist external health and safety experts to audit holiday properties. The health and safety of our customers is of paramount importance and we continuously review and strive to improve all our procedures."

  • 13 May 2015
  • From the section UK
Go to next video: CEO confronted over gas deaths