E-cigarette user
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Video

E-cigarettes warning after Teynham and Sheerness fires

Kent firefighters are working with businesses selling e-cigarettes to warn customers that the devices can cause a fire if incorrectly charged.

It follows a fire at a house in Teynham on Friday when 39-year-old Mark Stockdale received burns to his hand after an e-cigarette exploded.

Last month, there was a similar fire in Sheerness when resident Terry Skinner plugged in his e-cigarette using a charger not suited to that model, setting fire to soft furnishings in the bedroom.

BBC South East Today's Jon Hunt spoke to Mr Stockdale, Mark Rolfe, of Kent Trading Standards, Charlie Smith of Kent Fire and Rescue Service and Terry Limby of Liquid Leisure in Sittingbourne.

  • 13 Jan 2015
  • From the section Kent