Seal pups get food poisoning from human waste, study finds
Seal pups are contracting food poisoning from human waste, a new study has discovered.
Researchers found a number of grey seal pups on the Isle of May, near Edinburgh, were infected with a gastroenteritis-causing bacteria.
Analysis showed the likely source was sewage and waste from farming and livestock which contaminated the water.
The study was carried out by researchers at St Andrews and Swansea universities.
Carwyn Jones reports.
11 Dec 2014
- From the section Wales