The mother of the three-year-old victim
Media playback is unsupported on your device
Video

The plight of South Africa's household fire victims

A three-year-old South African girl is in recovery in a Johannesburg hospital after undergoing rare skin graft surgery.

She suffered severe burns to 80% of her body when a container of fire lighting liquid exploded at a family barbecue.

Her story has highlighted the plight of some of the 15,000 children who are victims of household fires in Africa every year.

Nomsa Maseko reports.

  • 25 Jun 2012
  • From the section Africa
Go to next video: Cloned skin for S Africa burns girl