News Tweets: North West, Paula Deen and Putin
For the week ending 21 June, here is the news making waves in America - all in 140 characters or less.
1. So what's the mayor of Vancouver up to these days? Presumably sticking up a Tim Horton's or something.
Politics editor at Business Insider Josh Barro (@jbarro) pondered which Canadian mayor will next cause a major scandal after the mayor of Montreal was arrested this week and charged with fraud. Recently, two news organisations said they had viewed a video of Toronto Mayor Rob Ford smoking crack cocaine - which he denied.
2. Pro tip for @serenawilliams or others discussing rape: if "I'm not blaming the girl, but…" exits your mouth, stop there. There is no "but."
In an interview with Rolling Stone, tennis star Serena Williams made off-hand comments about a 16-year-old gang rape victim that many, including writer and producer Jamil Smith, (@JamilSmith) found highly inappropriate. Williams later apologised.
3. Younger Americans are especially skeptical of NSA surveillance. So, Obama's going on Charlie Rose to explain.
Maybe Charlie Rose is not the hippest television host to ally yourself with if you want to reach out to young Americans, opinion editor at the New York Daily News Josh Greenman (@joshgreenman) suggested.
4. No ruling from SCOTUS today on Big 4: gay marriage, voting rights, affirmative action, and whether RTs are endorsements.
Prolific Twitter wit pourmecoffee (@pourmecoffee) followed this week's decisions from the Supreme Court, none of which affect the things that truly occupy the minds of Tweeters.
5. Turkish gov't says they won't condemn silent protests. But they will glare at them reproachfully.
Political scientist Ian Bremmer (@ianbremmer) commented on the continuing stand-off between government and security forces in Turkey.
6. We gain a Kardashian and lose Tony Soprano. The circle of life seems to have a crappy exchange rate.
Professional hockey player Zenon Konopka (@ZenonKonopka) mourns the death of actor James Gandolfini and marks the birth of North West, the daughter of reality star Kim Kardashian and rapper Kanye West.
7. Could you move two steps to the left and hold still for a sec? #AskSnowden
News editor for the conservative National Review Online Dan Foster (@DanFosterNRO) joined in on The Guardian's Q&A session with spy leaker Edward Snowden, posing a question one imagines would add to Snowden's paranoia.
8. Patriots Owner Says Putin Stole His Super Bowl Ring, Changes Tune When He Realizes Putin Is Scary Man
Robert Kraft, the owner of the NFL's New England Patriots, claimed Vladimir Putin stole his diamond-encrusted Super Bowl ring on a visit to Russia in 2005 at the beginning of the week, but backtracked come week's end. Buzzfeed (@buzzfeed) suggests why.
9. Folks surprised that Paula Deen is racist also wonder why that dude Clark who wears the glasses never gets to see Superman in action...
It didn't come as a shocker to managing director of This Week In Blackness, Elon James White (@elonjames) that Georgia-based celebrity chef Paula Deen, who has previously been accused of racism, expressed her interest in hiring African-American waiters to act like slaves.
10. Happy Father's Day to all, even the haters and losers!
Business magnate Donald Trump (@realDonaldTrump) offered some fatherly warmth for Father's Day.
Some tweets have been edited for clarity and style.