Quiz of the week's newsContinue reading the main story
It's the Magazine's 7 days, 7 questions quiz - an opportunity to prove to yourself and others that you are a news oracle. Failing that, you can always claim to have had better things to do during the past week than swot up on current affairs.
1.) Multiple Choice Question
A public swimming pool in Queensland, Australia, had to be evacuated after which creatures were spotted in the water?
- Water pythons
2.) Multiple Choice Question
Polar conditions have gripped large parts of North America. Which of these towns was the coldest place in the United States?
- Normal, Illinois
- Hell, Michigan
- Embarrass, Minnesota
- Chicken, Alaska
3.) Multiple Choice Question
Brazilian scientists have named a newly discovered sea slug after which character in Game of Thrones?
- Joffrey Baratheon
- Daenerys Targaryen
- Tyrion Lannister
4.) Multiple Choice Question
Following on from the Bric nations comes a new acronym - the Mint countries. But what country does the I in Mint represent?
5.) Multiple Choice Question
References to Voldemort have triggered a diplomatic incident. Which two countries accused each other of behaving like the Harry Potter villain?
- Turkey and Syria
- China and Japan
- Argentina and Britain
- North and South Korea
6.) Missing Word Question
Stone Age hunters' rotten *
7.) Multiple Choice Question
Tourist chiefs in the UK have published a guide for dealing with foreigners, which has been likened to Fawlty Towers. What did it say people from Hong Kong were scared of?
- Flashing smoke alarms
- Room 19
- It's crocodiles. The pool in Mount Isa was closed after nine baby crocodiles were found in or around the pool. They were later released back into the wild.
- It's Embarrass. The township of just over 600 people plunged to -37C (-35F). With wind chill, it felt as low as -43C. Hell, Michigan, got down to -13C.
- It's Daenerys. Scientists at Universidade Federal do Ceará named it Tritonia khaleesi. Khaleesi means wife of the Dothraki king, whom Daenerys Targaryen - played by Emilia Clarke - is married to.
- It's Indonesia. The Mint acronym was coined by economist Jim O'Neill to represent emerging economic powerhouses. It also includes Mexico, Nigeria and Turkey. Bric stands for Brazil, Russia, India and China.
- It's China and Japan. Diplomats in both countries invoked the fictional character after a visit by Prime Minister Shinzo Abe of Japan to the Yasukuni Shrine, which honours Japan's war dead, upset China.
- It's teeth. Researchers have found 13,700-year-old evidence of tooth decay in what is now Morocco.
- It's ghosts. The Visit Britain publication advises against putting people from Hong Kong in historic houses or four-poster beds because they may fear "a ghostly encounter".
0 - 3 : Camp site
4 - 6 : Room only
7 - 7 : Presidential suite
For past quizzes including our weekly news quiz, 7 days 7 questions, expand the grey drop-down below - also available on the Magazine page (and scroll down).