10 things we didn't know last week
1. You can determine an elephant's age by its rumble.
2. In Somalia, the word for president also means "big head".
3. French troops get four-course meals in their ration packs, with troops serving in Mali receiving cassoulet, deer terrine, camembert and chocolate cake.
4. Mattresses are draped over the side of modern warships to slow down hostile grappling parties.
5. Great British Bake-Off judge Mary Berry went to Ibiza superclub Pacha at the age of 71.
6. There is one international zipline ride in the world, between Spain and Portugal.
7. Fish nuggets served to US troops must contain only fish caught in American waters or by an American-flagged ship - but may use foreign breadcrumbs.
8. A snake can eat a crocodile.
9. According to OED, Cornish and Welsh have had less influence on the English language than Hawaiian, Swahili or Zulu.
10. Space weather can cause trans-polar flights from Europe to America to be diverted.
Seen a thing? Tell the Magazine on Twitter using the hashtag #thingIdidntknowlastweek