Quiz of the week's newsContinue reading the main story
It's the Magazine's 7 days, 7 questions quiz - an opportunity to prove to yourself and others that you are a news oracle. Failing that, you can always claim to have had better things to do during the past week than swot up on current affairs.
1.) Multiple Choice Question
Former Doctor Who actor David Tennant has attracted criticism for his US accent in Gracepoint, a remake of the ITV drama Broadchurch. Which state's distinctive drawl was he attempting to imitate?
- New Jersey
2.) Multiple Choice Question
Game of Thrones author George RR Martin revealed an item of technology widely considered obsolete is integral to his writing process. Which one?
- DOS computer
- Fax machine
- Reel-to-reel tape recorder
- Remington typewriter
3.) Multiple Choice Question
A Japanese restaurant in Calgary, Canada attracted headlines by offering a C$5 discount for what?
- Not taking food pictures
- Well-behaved children
- Being in and out in half-an-hour
4.) Multiple Choice Question
A runaway pet rhea which escaped from a smallholding in Hertfordshire, UK, has been shot dead. What will happen to its remains?
- Stuffed and mounted at Knebworth House
- Examined at Royal Veterinary College
- Made into gourmet sausages
5.) Multiple Choice Question
There was controversy in Essen, western Germany, over plans to give alcoholics and drug addicts free beer in exchange for doing what?
- Acting as tour guides
- Staying sober for a week
- Cleaning the streets
6.) Multiple Choice Question
Which animal did people in Saudi Arabia film themselves kissing, in defiance of warnings from the authorities?
7.) Missing Word Question
Turtles learn from * experience
- Gracepoint is set in northern California. "What is that, Kansas? Kentucky?", asked critic Alicia Lutes of his accent. Tennant admitted he had been told by a dialect coach that "some of my 'abouts' and 'beens' are going a bit wrong".
- It's a disk operating system (DOS) computer. Martin revealed he used the machine - with WordStar 4.0 as his word-processing system - because he did not want a modern PC that amended his writing as he typed.
- It was for well-behaved children. A Mothers' Day receipt from Carino Japanese Bistro went viral after it was shared on social news site Reddit.
- It will be made into gourmet sausages, gamekeeper Stuart Howe, who shot the bird, told reporters. Police had been concerned the 6ft flightless bird, which could reach speeds of 40mph, could cause a car crash.
- It's cleaning the streets. Under the "Pick-up" initiative, planned by charity Addict Support Essen, addicts will be offered beer in exchange for collecting litter three to six hours a day. The scheme has attracted criticism, but supporters say a similar project in Amsterdam has proved successful.
- It's camels. The Saudi agriculture ministry warned people not to go near the even-toed ungulates, which have been linked to the deadly Mers virus. But social media users shared images of themselves kissing the creatures as a protest.
- It's drift. The animals' experiences as little hatchlings adrift in ocean currents have a huge influence on them, research suggested.
0 - 3 : Turtle soup
4 - 6 : Mock turtle
7 - 7 : Turtle power
For past quizzes including our weekly news quiz, 7 days 7 questions, expand the grey drop-down below - also available on the Magazine page (and scroll down).