10 things we didn't know last week
- 8 August 2014
1. Tortoises can run as fast as 1mph (1.6km/h).
2. Neanderthals ate barbecue-roasted pigeon.
3. Ant colonies have personalities.
4. The Indian record for staff absenteeism is thought to have been set by a biology teacher who did not turn up for work for 23 years.
5. In Oklahoma, the average marijuana joint costs the same as 2.41 bottles of Bud Light.
6. There is a mathematical formula for happiness.
7. Eels are adversely affected by noise pollution.
8. Mesa, Arizona, is the most conservative large city in the United States.
9. The average astronaut on orbiting space shuttles gets less than six hours sleep a night.
10. Grizzly bears' bodies mimic the symptoms of type two diabetes during hibernation.
Seen a thing? Tell the Magazine on Twitter using the hashtag #thingIdidntknowlastweek