10 things we didn't know last week
- 22 August 2014
1. The Prince of Wales has an official harpist.
2. Snakes squeeze tree trunks far harder than necessary.
3. Richard III was partial to swan, crane, heron and egret, and drank a bottle of wine a day after becoming king.
4. Classical music is the worst genre to listen to for thrifty online shopping.
5. It used to be believed that until 1903 the Auld Alliance made it possible for French people to claim Scottish nationality and vice-versa, although there's no record of this ever actually happening.
6. Senior technology gurus at the White House don't have to tuck their shirts in.
7. Italy has a national law permitting hunting with bow and arrow.
8. Baby corals and fish can smell the difference between good and decaying reefs.
9. Whether one eats breakfast or not appears to have no impact on losing weight.
10. River turtles chat to each other using at least six different sounds.
Seen a thing? Tell the Magazine on Twitter using the hashtag #thingIdidntknowlastweek