NEC and Lenovo agree joint PC venture

The logo of Lenovo is displayed at a computer centre in Shanghai Lenovo said the deal was a "perfect fit"

Related Stories

Japan's NEC and China's Lenovo, two of the world's largest personal computer makers, have announced an agreement to establish a joint venture in Japan.

Lenovo will take a 51% stake in NEC Lenovo Japan Group, with NEC taking the remaining 49%.

NEC will receive $175m (£110m) through an issue of Lenovo shares.

In a joint statement, the two companies said the deal would give them "enhanced product portfolios and expanded distribution channels".

Under the terms of the deal, Hideyo Takasu, currently president of NEC Personal Products, will become president and chief executive of the new venture.

Roderick Lappin, currently president of Lenovo Japan, will become executive chairman.

The two brand names will continue to be used.

Lenovo and NEC have also agreed to discuss further co-operation in other areas, including selling PCs and developing new devices such as tablets.

The deal is expected to be signed by 30 June.

"The agreement with NEC is a perfect fit for our strategy," said Lenovo's chief executive Yang Yuanqing.

"It reinforces our commitment to our core PC business while, at the same time, providing important new opportunities for growth in Japan."

Nobuhiro Endo, president of NEC, said: "Lenovo is the right partner at the right time for NEC, and we believe that we are creating a strategic relationship today that will benefit NEC and our customers for many years to come".

More on This Story

Related Stories

From other news sites

* May require registration or subscription

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

More Business stories


Features & Analysis

Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Audi R8Best in show

    BBC Autos takes a look at 10 of the most eye-catching new cars at the 2015 Geneva motor show


  • A robotClick Watch

    The latest in robotics including software that can design electronics to solve problems

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.