UKIP beheading threat: Man held over alleged call to David Robinson-Young
Police have arrested a man in connection to an alleged threat to behead a UKIP candidate in Newcastle.
David Robinson-Young, claimed that he received a phone call on Tuesday from a constituent complaining about the Middle East.
The 62-year-old, who is standing in Newcastle East, said he found the call "chilling" and was left "shaken".
Northumbria Police said a 43-year-old man was being held on suspicion of making threats to kill.
The candidates for Newcastle-upon-Tyne East are:
- Nicholas Brown (Labour)
- Duncan Crute (Conservative)
- Andrew Gray (Green)
- Paul Phillips (Trade Union and Socialist Coalition)
- David Robinson-Young (UK Independent Party)
- Susan Stevenson (Communist Party of Britain)
- Wendy Taylor (Liberal Democrat)