Election 2017

Reality Check: Does Northern Ireland get more public cash than rest of UK?

The Conservative Party is in talks with the Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) about a deal to gain its support on certain votes in Parliament.

Parts of the discussions are expected to involve funding for Northern Ireland. How much government money already goes there?

HM Treasury breaks down public spending between Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales. Only about 88% of government spending may be divided in this way, the remaining 12% is on things like defence, which are counted in the statistics as benefiting everyone in the UK equally.

Northern Ireland has more of the identifiable spending per head than Scotland and Wales, receiving 21% more than the UK as a whole.

Next in line comes Scotland, which is 16% above the average and Wales at 10% above. England spends 3% per head below the overall UK figure.

The figures include spending by devolved administrations as well as UK government departments.

There are some differences between what counts as public spending - for example, water supply counts as being in the public sector in Scotland and Northern Ireland but in the private sector in England and Wales.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) has recently published experimental statistics on the distribution of public spending throughout the UK, which also found that Northern Ireland had the highest per person funding.

The UK is a net contributor, but if you look at how EU structural and investment funds are distributed among the nations, Wales comes out on top by a long way, with 142 euros (£126) per person per year.

Northern Ireland receives 57 euros (£50) per person, which is 58% above the UK average of 36 euros (£32).

While England gets the most funding overall with 1.5bn euros (£1.3bn) a year, it gets the lowest amount per person at 28 euros (£25).


Read more from Reality Check

Follow us on Twitter


Related Topics

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites