Zsa Zsa Gabor in her own words
- 19 December 2016
- From the section Entertainment & Arts
Zsa Zsa Gabor, famed for her nine marriages and her way with words, has died at the age of 99.
Here are some of her most memorable comments:
- "Husbands are like fires. They go out when unattended."
- "A man in love is incomplete until he has married. Then he's finished."
- On former husband George Sanders: "We were both in love with him. I fell out of love with him but he didn't."
- "When I'm alone, I can sleep crossways in bed without an argument."
- "Never despise what it says in the women's magazines - it may not be subtle but neither are men."
- "To be loved is a strength. To love is a weakness."
- "Macho does not prove mucho."
- "Getting divorced just because you don't love a man is almost as silly as getting married just because you do."
- "I don't remember anybody's name. Why do you think the 'darling' thing started?"
- "Being jealous of a beautiful woman is not going to make you more beautiful."
- "As a teenager, I preferred the company of boys to girls, focusing always on the most indifferent male and flirting with him until he became my slave."
- "I love being married. I love the companionship, I love cooking for a man (simple things like chicken soup and my special Dracula's goulash from Hungary), and spending all my time with a man. Of course I love being in love - but it is marriage that really fulfils me. But not in every case."
- "I never really mind what people say about me - I am far too unconventional and far too dedicated to being true to myself to let other people's disdain or nastiness upset me for long."