Phone hacking: Reporter takes NoW publisher to tribunal

Copies of News of the World Image copyright AFP
Image caption News of the World is now defunct but Thurlbeck will take its publishers to an employment tribunal

This round-up of Wednesday's main media news reports on a new development in the phone-hacking scandal.

A News of the World reporter at the heart of the phone-hacking scandal is taking the defunct tabloid's publishers to an employment tribunal, claiming he was a whistleblower, reports the Guardian.

It says: "Neville Thurlbeck, the paper's former chief reporter, is claiming that he was unfairly dismissed by Rupert Murdoch's News International... It has only just come to light that Thurlbeck - who had been behind a string of high-profile exclusives at the News of the World - had been fired by the company."

ITV has apologised after footage it said was from an IRA propaganda video was in fact from a computer game, reports BBC News. The pictures were used in the first edition of its new ITV1 documentary series "Exposure".

It claimed footage labelled "IRA film 1988" was of terrorists using Libyan weapons to shoot down the aircraft. The pictures were from a game called ArmA 2. ITV has said the mistake was "an unfortunate result of human error".

A financial trader who appeared on the BBC and said he dreamed of making money from another recession was not a hoaxer, the broadcaster has said, reports BBC News.

Users of Twitter have cast doubt on Alessio Rastani's credentials. But the BBC said: "We've carried out detailed investigations and can't find any evidence to suggest that the interview... was a hoax."

The Daily Telegraph says trader Alessio Rastani won instant fame: "BBC business editor Robert Peston was among the fans: 'A must watch if you want to understand the euro crisis and how markets work,' he told his 82,000 followers on Twitter... But on Tuesday night the BBC was left facing questions about just how qualified Mr Rastani is to speak about the markets."

Richard Desmond unveiled his Health Lottery yesterday with the bold claim that it was "the biggest brand launch this decade", reports the Independent. But Sir Stephen Bubb, head of Britain's voluntary associations, has attacked the Health Lottery as "a disgrace" which will undermine the National Lottery's contribution to charities. The Health Lottery will pay 20p from each £1 ticket sold to good causes, compared to the National Lottery's 28p.

There are mixed reviews in Wednesday's papers for Labour leader Ed Miliband's speech to the party conference, as reported in the BBC's newspaper review.