Paul Simon and Edie Brickell disorderly case dropped
- 18 June 2014
- From the section Entertainment & Arts
A disorderly conduct case against singers Paul Simon and Edie Brickell, following an incident at their home, has been dropped.
Police were called after a heated dispute at their house in Connecticut in April.
Brickell had told officers that her husband Simon had shoved her and she had slapped him.
Prosecutors told a judge on Tuesday they were declining to pursue the case. Neither of the singers attended court.
Officers were called to the couple's home in New Caanan on 26 April, 2014.
Brickell told them she had confronted her husband of 22 years after he did something to "break her heart".
She did not provide any further details. The police report added Simon suffered a superficial cut to his ear and Brickell, who smelled of alcohol, had a bruise on her wrist.
At an earlier hearing, Simon told reporters outside the court in Norwalk, Connecticut: "We're fine. We love each other. We're fine. We had an argument. It's over.
"Neither one of us has any fear or any reason to feel threatened."
Simon, 72, and Brickell, 48, had been scheduled to be in court on Tuesday, but did not appear.
The charges have now been dropped and will be erased after 13 months.
Simon first found fame as one half of folk duo Simon and Garfunkel and has gone on win 12 Grammys and is a member of The Songwriters Hall of Fame and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
Brickell scored an international hit with her debut single What I Am in 1988.