Entertainment & Arts

Roger Daltrey confirms US 'megafestival'

Paul McCartney, Neil Young, Rolling Stones, The Who, Roger Waters and Bob Dylan Image copyright Getty / AP / BBC
Image caption The line-up is expected to feature six of the 60s biggest acts

The Who's Roger Daltrey has confirmed a much-rumoured "megafestival" featuring his band alongside Paul McCartney, Bob Dylan and Neil Young.

The promoters of the annual Coachella festival are reportedly behind the three-day event in the US this October.

"What a great weekend it will be," Daltrey told BBC 6 Music. "They're all going to be there, on the one spot, at the one time."

"It's amazing really. It's amazing we're still here."

The historic festival was initially reported by the Los Angeles Times over the weekend, but neither the acts nor the promoters had confirmed the event.

It is expected to take place on the weekend of 7 - 9 October at the Empire Polo Field in Indio, California, where the Coachella Festival took place last weekend.

The line-up is also expected to include The Rolling Stones and Roger Waters of Pink Floyd.

It will be the first, and possibly last, time the artists - all Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductees - have shared the same bill.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionRoger Daltrey discusses 'megafestival' with BBC 6 Music

"We have to face it, we are [at] the end of an era," Daltrey told 6 Music's Matt Everitt. "We're the last of our generation."

"You can see from reading the obituaries lately that we [rock stars] don't make old bones very well, do we?"

The LA Times said Dylan and the Stones were expected to open the festival with back-to-back performances on Friday, 7 October, with McCartney and Young playing the following night, and Waters and the Who concluding proceedings on 9 October.

"I don't think any of us cares who goes on first," said Daltrey. "We've never worried about that. The music is all so different, that's not going to matter at all."

Gary Bongiovanni, editor of Pollstar said: "If you just look at it at face value, a bill like this doesn't exist anywhere else on the concert landscape."

"There are a lot of festivals, but nothing quite like what's being planned there. I expect it will resonate nationally - and internationally."

The Who are currently in the middle of their 50th anniversary world tour, which hits the Isle of Wight Festival in the UK on 11 June.

Dozens of dates were postponed last year when Daltrey contracted viral meningitis.

"I got terrible headaches, then I fell over. It was touch and go there for a few days," Daltrey said.

"I'm doing alright. I don't think I'm 100% but I'm singing better than I've ever sung in my life, so that's a good result."

Related Topics

More on this story

Around the BBC