Tixylix cough medicines recall over contamination fear
Drug company Novartis is recalling thousands of bottles of Tixylix cough and cold medicines over fears plastic may have got into the medicines.
The Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) says consumers should return affected bottles to the place of purchase.
Novartis said it had been made aware of a possible fault in the tamper seal.
There is no evidence that anyone has been harmed, but Novartis has set up a helpline on 0800 854 100.
The affected medicines come under 37 different batch numbers and have expiry dates ranging from 01/08/15 to 01/06/16. A full list is available on the MHRA website.
The medicines being recalled are:
- Tixylix Toddler Syrup 100ml - PL 00030/0150 (Glycerol)
- Tixylix Toddler Syrup 150ml - PL 00030/0150 (Glycerol)
- Tixylix Baby Syrup 100ml - PL 00030/0150 (Glycerol)
- Tixylix Blackcurrant Flavour Syrup 100ml - PL 00030/0150 (Glycerol)
- Tixylix Chesty Cough 100ml - PL 00030/0082 (Guaifenesin)
Consumers are advised to check their products to see if they carry an affected batch number and expiry date.
Novartis Consumer Health has been made aware of a possible fault in the manufacturing process of the tamper seal, which might result in small pieces of plastic being found in the liquid medicines.
Adam Burgess, the MHRA head of defective medicines reporting centre, said: "This is a precautionary recall and there is currently no evidence that people have had any problems with these medicines.
"If people have bought Tixylix, we ask that they check the batch number on the bottle label next to the expiry date to see if it is one of the batches being recalled.
"If anyone has an affected batch, they should return it to the place of purchase for a refund.
"If people do have any questions they can contact Novartis on 0800 854 100 or visit tixylix.co.uk."
The action by Novartis follows Boots taking the same step last month over its cough and cold medicines.
Boots has now extended its recall to include further batches and medicines, and is asking patients to return all batches of specific paracetamol, gripe mixture and cough and cold medicines.
The Novartis and Boots products are made by the same company, which is part of the Boots stable of companies.
The same possible fault in the manufacturing process of the tamper seal, potentially resulting in small pieces of plastic being found in the liquid medicines.
The Boots products which are included in this latest recall are
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Chesty Cough Relief 100mg/5ml Oral Solution, PL 00014/0554
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Dry Cough Relief Oral Solution, PL 00014/0550
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Mucus Cough Relief 100mg/5ml Oral Solution, PL 00014/0554
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 6 years Plus 250mg/5ml Oral Solution 200ml, PL 00014/0619
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 6 Years Plus 250mg/5ml Suspension 100ml PL 00014/0619
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Ibuprofen 3 Months plus 100mg/5ml Oral suspension Strawberry flavour, PL 00014/0652
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Tickly Cough Relief Oral Solution PL 00014/0550
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 3 Months Plus 120mg/5ml Suspension 100ml PL 00014/0638
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Paracetamol 3 Months Plus 120mg/5ml Suspension 200ml PL 00014/0660
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Cough Syrup 3 Months Plus PL 00014/0500
- Boots Pharmaceuticals Gripe Mixture 1 Month Plus PL 00014/5236
Boots is offering customers a refund if they return these medicines.
Anyone with concerns or questions can speak to the healthcare team at their local Boots store or telephone the Boots Customer Care Team on 0800 915 0004.