Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Summary

  1. Updates on Monday 29 May

Live Reporting

All times stated are UK

Get involved

Armed police return to their vehicles following an attack near London Bridge station, 4 June 2017

The deadly attack in London Bridge is not the first of such terror incidents in the city - or elsewhere in Great Britain.

Read more

Our live coverage across the day

That's it from us for another day but we'll be back from 08:00 on Tuesday with more news, sport, travel and weather updates for the North West of England.

In the meantime, look out for updates from our colleagues across the BBC, which will be published here automatically across the weekend.

Manchester attack: Venues to hold minute of silence and minute of noise

Music venues across Europe will hold a minute's silence and a minute's noise to remember the victims of the Manchester attack and show "we will not be silenced", the organisers of the moment have said.

View more on twitter

The event, called #oneminuteformanchester and suggested by the Music Venue Trust, will see gig venues fall silent at 21:59 before making "as much noise as possible" at 22:00.

Club venues will hold the same tribute, but at the later times of 23:59 and 00:00.

National Football Museum in Manchester closed 'until further notice'

Hate incidents double following Manchester attack, police say

There has been an increase in "hate incidents" in the days following the Manchester attack, the city's police force has said.

Greater Manchester Police's Chief Constable Ian Hopkins said the number had doubled in the past few days but police were not "directly" linking the incidents to Monday's attack.

He said:

Manchester has come together this week and it is important we continue to stand together, particularly in relation to hate-filled views that have no place in Greater Manchester.

Sadly, we have seen an increase in reports of hate incidents from 28 on Monday, which is what we receive on an average day, to 56 on Wednesday this week. We can’t directly link these to the events of Monday night and are continuing to monitor the situation.

I have sent a personal message out to all the faith leaders and places of worship today and have thanked them for the support they have shown and stressed that hate crime will not be tolerated.

Take That combine three shows into one following 'tragic events'

The three Manchester Arena shows which Take That postponed in the aftermath of the attack there on Monday will be combined into one concert at the Etihad Stadium, the band has announced.

View more on twitter

In a statement, the group said that following the "tragic events" at the arena, the new show would take place on 18 June.

They added:

This concert has been organised with a very short turn around thanks to the incredible support and professionalism of Manchester City Football Club, Manchester City Council, the emergency services and the staff and box offices of Manchester Arena and their ticket agents.

Mother says Manchester attack victim was an 'experience'

The mother of Martyn Hett, one of the 22 people killed in the Manchester Arena bomb attack, has said she has only happy memories of her son.

Martyn Hett
Hett family

Figen Murray said:

I don't feel the need to be upset and cry. When I think of Martyn, all I can think of is smiling because I have so many fond and happy memories.

Martyn was an experience. He was an icon, he was a diva.

Mrs Murray also said she feels no emotions towards her son's killer, Salman Abedi.

She said:

I have no feelings of hate or anger at all because I don't think this person deserves any of those emotions. I'm staying with my positivity for Martyn.

She added that Martyn had been due to tleave on a two-month trip to America and had held a farewell party last week, so "in a way, he has said goodbye to everybody he loves and cares about".

Latest headlines for the North West

Manchester attack victim's school to offer counselling over half-term

A Merseyside school attended by a victim of the Manchester attack is to stay open during half-term next for any pupils who need counselling.

Floral tributes to Megan Hurley at Halewood Academy
BBC

Megan Hurley, 15, who attended Halewood Academy, was one of the 22 people killed after the Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena on Monday.

Principal Gary Evans said:

This has been a devastating time for staff, students and parents. This has been a huge loss to all of us.

Mr Evans said staff had volunteered to work during their week off, alongside health professionals and counsellors for any pupils who needed support.

Blackpool fans 'will boycott Wembley'

BBC Sport

Blackpool Supporters' Trust (BST) will continue their boycott of Blackpool matches by not going to Wembley for Sunday's League Two play-off final.

BST have not attended home matches at Bloomfield Road this season in protest at the ownership of the Oyston family.

Blackpool will secure a return to League One if they beat Exeter.

"I'm really torn here as this is the first play-off final I've not been to for over a quarter of a century," said BST chairman Steve Rowland.

He told BBC Radio Lancashire: "Sadly, the majority of fans won't be going this year but we'll still be hoping the team wins, obviously.

"I think they'll be lucky to get 5,000 fans going to the game. The majority will be watching in pubs."

'Heartbroken' Kiss cancel Manchester gig after terror attack

American rock band Kiss have cancelled their gig in Manchester next week.

KISS
Getty Images

They were due to play the Manchester Arena - which is currently closed - on Tuesday as part of the KISS’ Kissworld Tour.

They posted this message on their website:

Message from KISS
KISSONLINE

And in a statement, the four members of the band said:

We are heartbroken by the atrocity committed against the innocent victims of Manchester.

We sadly will not to be able to play Manchester Arena on 30 May.

We have always looked forward to these shows and our local fans, but in light of recent events a cancelled rock show seems of such little consequence.

Our thoughts and prayers are with the families and friends of those affected and all the people of Manchester at this difficult time. We are with you and you are in our prayers.

Latest headlines for the North West

Blackpool's 'honest group of lads' ready for Sunday's play-off final

BBC Lancashire Sport

Blackpool boss Gary Bowyer says Sunday's play-off final is reward for his players efforts this season.

View more on twitter

The Seasiders play Exeter at Wembley, with the winners promoted to League One.

BBC Radio Lancashire is live at Wembley from 14:00 on Sunday.

Emirates Old Trafford give advice ahead of The Courteeners gig

Weather: Sunny and warm afternoon

BBC Weather

Lots of sunshine this afternoon with highs of 27C. Clear but muggy night ahead.

More from BBC Weather

Severe disruption: M6 Lancashire northbound

BBC News Travel

M6 Lancashire northbound severe disruption, at J29 for M65.

M6 Lancashire - M6 lane closed on entry slip road and heavy traffic northbound at J29, M65 (Lostock Hall).

To report traffic and travel incidents dial 0330 123 0184 at any time

Manchester attack: Police make 10th arrest

Police have arrested a man in the Moss Side area of Manchester in connection with Monday's attack at the city's Arena venue that killed 22 people.

An army bomb disposal unit was called to Wigan on Thursday
Getty Images

He is one of eight men - aged between 18 and 38 - now in custody on suspicion of terror offences, police have said.

Police believe Manchester-born bomber Salman Abedi, from a family of Libyan origin, acted as part of a network.

His older brother, Ismail Abedi, 24, is among 10 people to have been arrested in the UK. Two were later released.

A 16-year-old boy and a 34-year-old woman were the two released without charge.

Manchester's Libyans 'shamed' by attack

Libyans living in Manchester are "devastated and ashamed" of the arena terror attack, a community leader has told the BBC.

Salman Abedi
BBC

Police believe Manchester-born suicide bomber Salman Abedi, 22, acted as part of a network.

He was born on New Year's Eve to Libyan parents who fled their home country as opponents of Colonel Gaddafi's regime.

Mohamed Abdul Malek of Manchester's human right's Libya Watch group said: "The Libyan community is devastated."

Hundreds queue in Manchester for bee tattoos

People have been queuing outside tattoo studios in Manchester to have the design of the city's bee symbol tattooed - after it became an image of solidarity following the terror attack on Monday.

Local tattoo artists have teamed up to offer the design for a £50 donation towards the fund for victims - with many are reporting they are fully booked.

Queue outside Manchester tattoo tudio
BBC

The worker bee appears across the city from the mosaic flooring at Manchester Town Hall to the clock face on the Palace hotel and even on bollards in the streets.

Its origins lie in the city's industrial past when the city was described as a "hive of activity" with chimneys "taller than palaces and churches".

View more on twitter

How Stanley Matthews became a 'soccer chief' in Ghana

Sir Stanley Matthews remains one of England's most famous footballers and was known as the "Wizard of Dribble" - but the Blackpool legend was also arguably the first global icon, paving the way for the likes of David Beckham and Cristiano Ronaldo.

And it all began in Ghana, says Scott Anthony.

Sir Stanley Matthews
THE STANLEY MATTHEWS FOUNDATION/JOHN D CROSS

Football is the closest thing the planet has to a global popular culture.

Wherever you go in the world, you'll find people kicking a ball around, watching matches in cafes, wearing replica shirts, and betting or playing football games on their phones.

Yet the idea of a footballer as a global icon is a relatively recent phenomenon. The idea that a footballer could bring nations, classes and races together had to be invented. And it was an idea that was arguably invented in Africa.

Read more here.

Extra security for The Courteeners gig in Manchester this weekend

There will be extra security at The Courteeners concert in Manchester this weekend.

The band, from Middleton, say there will be more patrols at the sold-out Old Trafford cricket ground on Saturday and are asking people not to bring bags with them and allow extra time for security checks.

The 50,000-capacity show is supported by other local bands including The Charlatans and Blossoms.

The Courteeners
BBC

Organisers say they are working closely with police and authorities and hope fans "can continue to support the strength, character, love and pure emotion that has been witnessed in the last few days in this great city".

Latest headlines for the North West

Manchester attack victim Megan Hurley 'taken far too early'

A 15-year-old girl from Merseyside has been confirmed as one of the victims of the attack after the Ariana Grande concert at Manchester Arena.

Flowers
BBC

Megan Hurley is the 22nd victim to be named after the attack on Monday night.

Her elder brother, Bradley, 20, was seriously injured in the attack.

Maxine Benson, the aunt of the Halewood Academy pupil, confirmed on Facebook the teenager had died and asked for "privacy and respect at this devastating time".

Katy Perry pays tribute to Manchester victims

Katy Perry has paid an emotional tribute to the victims of Monday's terror attack at a concert in London.

Katy Perry
Getty Images

The singer was doing an intimate gig in a pub when she spoke to the crowd.

"It was hard. It was hard for you guys I know, it was hard for me, because we all love music.

"And that's my friend, that's my cousin, that's my friend who loves music", she added before getting tearful.

Twenty-two people were killed in the attack at the Manchester Arena after an Ariana Grande concert on Monday night.

What is the significance of the Manchester bee?

BBC Radio 5 live

The Manchester bee has become a symbol of solidarity after the Manchester attack, but what are its origins?

Manchester writer and tour guide Jonathan Schofield told 5 live Breakfast:

There are many stories but one is that a German architect came to Manchester and described us as a hive of activity.

After that, with all the industry that was in Manchester, the bee was more and more adopted, until in 1842, it was added to the coat of arms.

It’s a worker bee, not a bumble bee. The fact that it’s a worker bee, this idea of struggle and strife to get to somewhere - given the troubles we’ve had in the last week - I think you couldn’t find a better symbol for that endeavour.

Manchester attack: Question Time debates 'Didsbury Mosque' leaflet

A Question Time audience member has claimed he was handed an anti-Western leaflet at Didsbury Mosque in Manchester.

The mosque was previously attended by the father of Salman Ramadan Abedi, the man who carried out Monday's bomb attack.

However, an attendee of the mosque who was also in the audience said the mosque had a "multi-cultural community" and said the leaflet was "not official".

The mosque condemned the attack on Wednesday, saying "cowardice has no place in our society".

Manchester attack: Final victim named as Megan Hurley from Halewood

A schoolgirl from Merseyside has been confirmed as the final victim of the Manchester bomb attack.

Fifteen-year-old Megan Hurley from Halewood in Knowsley was one of 22 people killed on Monday.

Extra security checks for Liverpool Take That concert

Extra security checks will be in place at the Liverpool Echo Arena tonight as the Take That concert, which was postponed earlier in the week, goes ahead.

Take That
BBC/Guy Levy

Additional stewards and police will be on hand to provide reassurance, and all bags being taken into the venue will be searched.

Doors open at 17:00 and anyone arriving outside before 14:00 this afternoon will be asked to leave the site.

Manchester attack: St Helens property raided by counter-terrorism police

Police say there is currently "no specific threat to Merseyside", after counter-terrorism officers searched an address in St Helens.

The operation took place earlier this morning as part of the investigation into Monday's suicide bombing at the Manchester Arena.

Police say this phase of the operation is "still in its infancy".

The raid was led by officers from the North West Counter Terrorism Unit and supported by Merseyside Police.

Supt Louise Harrison says she understands this kind of activity can cause concern for people living in nearby communities - and has thanked people for their understanding and patience.

She has called on communities to work closely together to "unite against those who seek to divide us" though violence and extremism.

'My 8-year-old is being called a terrorist'

A Question Time audience member in Salford last night talked about his daughter's experience after the Manchester attack.

Liam Gallagher to donate profits from debut solo show to Manchester fund

Former Oasis frontman Liam Gallagher has announced his debut solo tour and said the profits from the opening show, at Manchester's O2 Ritz, will go to the We Love Manchester Emergency Fund.

Liam Gallagher
BBC

The Burnage-born singer will be playing four dates, starting in Manchester on 30 May and moving on to London, Dublin and Glasgow.

The fund, which was organised by Manchester City Council and the British Red Cross, was set up to support those affected by the Manchester attack on Monday night.

Man arrested in Chorley murder probe

A murder investigation has been launched by police after the death of a woman in Lancashire.

Hollinshead Street
Google

Gemma Leeming, 30, was found dead in a bedroom at an address on Hollinshead Street, Chorley, at about 22:35 on Tuesday, police said.

A post-mortem examination revealed she had been strangled.

A 39-year-old man, from Chorley, has been arrested on suspicion of murder and remains in police custody for questioning.

Latest headlines for the North West

Manchester attack: Police make tenth arrest

Police have arrested a man in the Moss Side area of Manchester in connection with Monday's attack at the city's Arena venue that killed 22 people.

An army bomb disposal unit was called to Wigan on Thursday
Getty Images

He is one of eight men now in custody as part of the investigation, Greater Manchester Police have said.

Police believe Manchester-born suicide bomber Salman Abedi, 22 from a family of Libyan origin, acted as part of a network.

In total, 10 people have been arrested in the UK but two were later released.

Weather: Hot and humid

BBC Weather

Plenty of sunshine, slight breeze but feeling humid. Highs of 27C.

More from BBC Weather

Join us for today's live news coverage

Good morning, we'll be with you until 18:00 today with the latest news, sport, travel and weather updates from across the North West of England.

An army bomb disposal unit

The US president condemns leaks to American media about the Manchester attack investigation, but the UK says it is resuming intelligence sharing.

Read more