Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Summary

  1. Live updates on Friday 19 May

Live Reporting

All times stated are UK

Get involved

Rossi Eames

League Two side Barnet appoint former interim manager and first team coach Rossi Eames as their new head coach.

Read more

Goodbye from BBC London Live

BBC London News

Updates for London have now ended for the day but we'll be back at 08:00 on Monday with all the latest videos, news, sport, travel and weather.

Have a great weekend.

Tonight's weather: Scattered showers

BBC Weather

It will be cloudy this evening with scattered showers. Overnight, the showers will gradually ease, with some clear spells developing but turning chilly as a result.

Minimum temperature: 8C (46F).

Watch: Dementia: Why son fears for mum's future care

In 2014, Andriani was suffering from dementia, and sold her small house in London to pay for residential care.

The 64-year-old's condition has deteriorated rapidly since then, while the costs to care for her have risen from £60,000 to £100,000 a year.

Her son, Alex, tells the BBC her story, and why he wants to see "a radical overhaul" of the way social care in England is funded.

Apple store thief spared jail despite 'dreadful criminal record'

A thief with a "dreadful criminal record" who went on a stealing spree at one of Apple's largest stores, totalling almost £10,000, has been spared jail.

William Hickey of Coleman Road in Belvedere was charged with five counts of theft from the technology giant's Covent Garden shop between 4 and 25 January.

Across four days, the 34-year-old took an iPhone 7 worth £800, a MacBook Pro costing £1,800, and three further MacBook Pro's each valued at £2,350.

Sentencing Hickey at Southwark Crown Court, Judge Christopher Hehir said: "You have a dreadful criminal record.

"You commit a number of acquisitive offences all the time to feed your drug habit and you really deserve to go to prison today."

But Judge Hehir said he could see a glimmer of hope and some chance of breaking the cycle, and said he would deal with Hickey leniently.

He handed the father-of-three 16 months imprisonment, suspended for two years, adding: "This really is a unique and once only opportunity that I am offering you."

Hawking: We must start colonising other planets

Top physicist Professor Stephen Hawking has repeated his warning that human survival depends on finding a new home beyond the Earth.

The search for other planets to colonise should start now, he believes.

Speaking in London at a press conference previewing the Starmus science and arts festival taking place in Norway next month, the professor said: "I strongly believe we should start seeking alternative planets for possible habitation.

"We are running out of space on Earth and we need to break through the technical limitations preventing us living elsewhere in the universe."

High Court judge 'should oversee Westminster terror attack inquests'

Three victims
HO
Three of the five victims: PC Keith Palmer, Kurt Cochran and Aysha Frade

The Home Secretary wants a High Court judge to oversee the inquests of those who died in the Westminster terror attacks.

James Eadie QC, for the Government, told a pre-inquest hearing today this was the best way of achieving an "efficient, effective and speedy inquest".

This was on the basis there may be sensitive national security material relating to the incident which could only be viewed and assessed by a designated judge.

He made his submissions at a hearing of Westminster Coroner's Court, sitting at the Royal Courts of Justice in London.

Dr Fiona Wilcox, senior coroner for Westminster, said it was an "important issue" and invited submissions from interested parties to be sent to the chief coroner for consideration.

Inquests into the deaths are not expected to be heard before early next year - and decisions have yet to be made on the number of inquests and whether they will all involve a jury.

Five people were killed by Muslim convert Khalid Masood in the March 22 attack.

He drove his car into people on Westminster Bridge before stabbing Pc Keith Palmer inside the grounds of the Palace of Westminster.

#GE17 issues: Re-nationalisation of the railways - your views

Trains
PA

Labour has proposed the railways should be re-nationalised. What are your views? What other transport or infrastructure issues need tackling, in your view, if any?

Here are the views of some Londoners the BBC has interviewed:

Back to the bad old days of nationalisation? I don't think so!

Gilly, Enfield

Transport systems such as TFL are overpriced, overcrowded and understaffed.

Sally Gordon, North London

Fine, but what is the detailed plan, ambition behind this - to improve x, to build x? Easy to nationalise but where's the strategy? Pavements need to be urgently tackled, there is far too much focus on minorities, such as cyclists and building them super highways and other nonsense. Pedestrians are the majority and the pavements are being ignored and are in terrible condition.

Clive Woods, South East London

Don't really use the national railway but I think its a good idea for it to be re-nationalised.

May, West London

Yes, they should be re-nationalised and brought under one control - not owned by foreign countries as some are. The fares should be restructured and simplified.

Irene Keith, South West London

What do you think? Email us

Stephen Port case: Victims families 'appalled' at police inquiry progress

Stephen Port
Rex Features

Families of victims of a serial killer are appalled at the inquiry into police failings associated with the case.

Stephen Port, 42, was sentenced to life imprisonment in November 2016 after being found guilty of four murders.

The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said it has compiled 7,000 pages of material on the case, and is committed to finding answers.

But victims' relatives are dismayed that none of the police officers under investigation have been interviewed.

Between June 2014 and September 2015, Port murdered Anthony Walgate, 23, originally from Hull, Gabriel Kovari, 22, from Lewisham, south-east London, Daniel Whitworth, 21, from Gravesend, Kent, and Jack Taylor, 25, from Dagenham, east London.

Watch: Moped attack in Ilford

This is the moment a motorcyclist was attacked with a fire extinguisher after being surrounded by seven suspects on mopeds in Ilford.

Detectives are investigating a "spate of moped-enabled thefts" in east London.

There were seven reported offences across two days in April in the Barking and Dagenham area, which the officers believe were carried out by the same group of suspects.

In this case, the suspects were unsuccessful and fled the scene.

Motorcyclist attacked in Ilford

Are London schools set to lose or gain?

Marc Ashdown

Classroom
Getty Images

Education is emerging as one of the key domestic policy battlegrounds in this election.

Parents and head teachers are keeping the issue of funding in the headlines, and all the main political parties have made a play for votes with eye-catching policies.

Before we look at those in more detail, let's consider funding. Is there enough money going into our schools? The answer, from classrooms across the capital at least, is a resounding no.

The Conservatives parrot the "record levels of investment going to schools" line almost as readily as the "strong and stable" leadership mantra. But many heads would sooner they changed the record entirely.

Watch: Why young Londoners should vote in the general election

Rachael Farrington from Voting Counts wants to get more young Londoners to vote in elections, regardless of their political leaning.

In the EU referendum, only 64% of voters aged 18-24 went to the polls compared to 90% of over-65s. She says if young voters don't take part in elections then policies will continue to be geared towards older voters.

Boy, 13, charged after rape of schoolboy

A 13-year-old boy has been charged with the rape and kidnap of a boy, 13.

The incident took place at Roe Green Park off Kingsbury Road, Kingsbury on Tuesday.

The teenager who was arrested on Wednesday - was charged on Thursday with one count of rape of a male under 13; one count of causing or inciting a child under 13 into sexual activity and one count of kidnap.

He will appear in custody at Willesden Magistrate's Court on Friday.

Roe green Park off Kingsbury Road
Google

Severe accident: A12 Greater London westbound

BBC News Travel

A12 Greater London westbound severe accident, between Brook Road and King George Avenue affecting Seven Kings Park.

A12 Greater London - A12 in Newbury Park closed and stationary traffic westbound between the Brook Road junction and the King George Avenue junction, because of an accident. Police directing traffic. Congestion to the Seven Kings Park junction.

To report traffic and travel incidents dial 0330 123 0184 at any time

PC to stand trial over alleged attack on suspect's car

A Met officer allegedly caught on camera attacking a suspect's car will stand trial on 18 December.

Joshua Savage, of Wanstead in east London, is accused of common assault, possession of a bladed article, and criminal damage to a windscreen.

The 27-year-old, who is on restricted duties with the Met following the alleged incident on 16 September, entered not guilty pleas to all three counts.

The video, filmed by the driver, allegedly shows the officer launching the confrontation in Vicars Road in Camden, north-west London.

Maria Sharapova

Maria Sharapova opts to enter Wimbledon qualifying rather than request a wildcard entry into the main draw as she continues her comeback from a drugs ban.

Read more

Severe disruption: M4 Greater London eastbound

BBC News Travel

M4 Greater London eastbound severe disruption, between J2 for A4 and J1 for A4.

M4 Greater London - Queuing traffic and one lane closed on M4 eastbound between J2, A4 (Brentford) and J1, A4 (Chiswick Roundabout), because of a broken down vehicle.

To report traffic and travel incidents dial 0330 123 0184 at any time

Drug runner jailed for life for murder

A drug-runner from London has been jailed for life for murder and must serve 20 years before being considered for parole.

Hassiem Baqir (pictured), 20, from Thornton Heath, was found guilty of murdering 38-year-old Steve Stannard, who was found dead outside his home in Norwich on 5 November.

Hassiem Baqir
Norfolk Constabulary

A post-mortem examination revealed he had been stabbed six times, Norwich Crown Court heard.

Baqir travelled from London to Norwich to deal drugs from Mr Stannard's flat in Bowers Avenue.

Mr Stannard was described to the court as a class A drug user with a chaotic lifestyle. He had become involved in drug dealing from his home - a criminal act called "cuckooing".

Police found a knife in a bin in nearby Gresham Road and tests linked blood on the blade to Mr Stannard, and a DNA profile for Baqir.

Det Ch Insp Marie James said: "We will never know the true events leading up to Steve Stannard's death but this case demonstrates the dangerous consequences drug-related crime can have."

Arsenal: Arsene Wenger's future to be decided after FA Cup final
Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger says his future at the club will be revealed following a board meeting after the FA Cup final on 27 May.

Construction firm guilty of Knightsbridge balcony fall deaths

Police tent
BBC

A construction firm has been found guilty of the manslaughter of two workmen who fell to their deaths while renovating a multi-million pound flat.

Tomasz Procko, 22, and Karol Symanski, 29, died in an "entirely foreseeable and preventable" accident while hauling a large sofa up over a balcony.

They died when 130-year-old railings used to support the sofa gave way in November 2014, the Old Bailey heard. Martinisation (London) Ltd denied the charges.

The major project in Cadogan Square - located between Harrods and Sloane Square - was behind schedule and £400,000 over budget when the men died, the prosecutor, Adrian Darbishire QC, said.

The firm was found guilty of health and safety breaches and two charges of corporate manslaughter.

Boss Martin Gutaj, 43, from Brentford, was convicted of breaching health and safety laws.

Watch: Why are some young people not voting in #GE17?

With around 64% of voters aged 18-24 voting in the EU referendum, campaigners now want more of them to take part in the forthcoming general election.

These young Londoners told us why they're not going to the polls.

Afternoon weather: Bright and sunny but risk of thundery showers later

BBC Weather

Becoming brighter with some sunny intervals developing into this afternoon, but also some locally heavy showers, which could be thundery at times.

Maximum temperature: 15C (59F).

Driver admits killing woman in St Minver

Rob England

BBC News Online

A man from London has admitted killing a woman from Cornwall by careless driving, but has denied a more serious charge of causing death by dangerous driving.

Jonathan Kane, 51, of Flood Street, Chelsea, killed Catherine Bailey in St Minver, north Cornwall, on 18 July 2016.

He ran her over in a Land Rover and is alleged to have then ditched his car at Exeter railway station and got on a train to London, Truro Crown Court heard.

He pleaded guilty to one count of causing death by careless driving, one count of causing death by driving whilst unlicensed or uninsured, and one count of dangerous driving. He denies causing death by dangerous driving.

The court heard those pleas were not acceptable to the prosecution, and the case was adjourned until 31 October. He is currently on bail.

Harry Kane

Tottenham boss Mauricio Pochettino says Harry Kane is "one of the best strikers in the world" and Tottenham can keep their best players.

Read more
Jamie Mackie

QPR forward Jamie Mackie signs a one-year contract extension to stay at the club until the end of next season.

Read more

Sadiq Khan 'furious' at 'sleeping' tram driver

Sadiq Khan said he was sure Londoners would be "as shocked as he was" about footage which has emerged of a tram driver sleeping during the rush hour.

The Mayor of London called for an immediate investigation.

He said: "I have spoken to the chief executive of First Group, who operate the trams, to make my feelings crystal clear.

"This comes just six months after the tragic incident in Croydon which left seven people dead and more than 50 injured. "Bereaved families and survivors will be appalled by this video."

Tram
BBC

A Transport for London spokesman said it had asked operators First Group to take all necessary action to ensure that they are dealing with driver tiredness.

First Group said the driver in question had been suspended pending the outcome of its investigation.

'Sleeping' Croydon tram driver footage probed

Footage appearing to show a tram driver nodding off at the controls three stops before a crash killed seven people is being "urgently investigated".

The clip, captured on a passenger's mobile phone on Wednesday, was sent to the Evening Standard newspaper.

The video was recorded three stops from the site of the 9 November derailment in Croydon, south London, which also injured 51.

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said he was "absolutely furious" about the footage.

Croydon tram
EPA

In the 20-second clip, a driver - who is not the driver involved in last year's fatal crash - appears to be sleeping while stationary at lights - failing to move off again.

A commuter told the Evening Standard the driver was asleep for several minutes and people were forced to bang on the window to wake him up.

He is seen bent over and breathing heavily with his hands still on the controls.

Solid start from Surrey openers

Surrey 37-0 (9 overs) v Middlesex

Mark Church

BBC Radio London commentator

On a cloudy morning at headquarters, Mark Stoneman and Rory Burns have started solidly. There is definitely assistance for Toby Roland-Jones and Tom Helm with the new ball but Burns and Stomeman have played nicely. The really good news is the sun just came out.

NATS in Hampshire to control London City air traffic remotely

Swanwick-based National Air Traffic Services will view cameras in new operations room.
Michael Stoller, airports director at Swanwick-based NATS, tells Sasha Twining about plans for London City to become the first UK airport to replace its air traffic control tower with a remotely operated digital system.

Boy, 15, in court over sexual assault and kidnap charges

A 15-year-old boy has been charged with two counts of sexual assault, two counts of common assault and kidnap with intent to commit a specified sexual offence.

Detectives had been investigating linked sexual offences in the Clapham and Wandsworth areas of south west London.

He will appear at Wimbledon Magistrates' Court later.

Julian Assange: Sweden drops rape investigation

Julian Assange
Reuters

Sweden's director of public prosecutions has decided to drop the rape investigation into Wikileaks founder Julian Assange.

Marianne Ny filed a request to the Stockholm District Court to revoke his arrest warrant, apparently ending a seven-year stand-off.

Mr Assange, 45, has lived in the Ecuadoran embassy in London since 2012, trying to avoid extradition.

He feared being extradited to the US if sent to Sweden.

Mr Assange has always denied the rape allegations against him and was interviewed in the embassy in London six months ago in the presence of Swedish officials.

But if he leaves the embassy he could be detained by UK police and face extradition to the US over the leaking of hundreds of thousands of secret US military and diplomatic documents.

Thousands of police on the beat without current background checks

Police officer
Getty Images

Thousands of police officers across the UK have not had up-to-date background checks to ensure they are suitable to serve.

Figures reveal 90% of officers employed by one force have not been vetted in line with current policy.

Vetting aims to help prevent corruption in the police by checking an officer or potential officer's background.

Her Majesty's Inspector of Constabulary Mike Cunningham said forces "need to address this matter urgently".