Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Summary

  1. Today's headlines...

Live Reporting

All times stated are UK

Get involved

Our live coverage throughout the day

That's all for today - thank you for joining us.

We'll be back on Monday at 08:00 with the latest news, sport, weather and travel updates. 

There will be more updates on our radio stations - BBC Newcastle and BBC Tees - online and on Look North over the weekend.

If you'd like to get in touch, you can contact us on TwitterFacebook, or via email at northeast.locallive@bbc.co.uk.

Have a lovely weekend.

Plans for Middlesbrough's £30m snow centre 'progressing'

The company behind a £30m indoor snow centre planned for Middlesbrough says it has the investment in place and operators keen to sign up to the development. 

It's hoped 350 jobs will be created at the centre, which would also have a climbing area and trampoline park. 

Paul Mosley, from the developers Cool Runnings North East, says there's been interest in the project and they're hoping work can start on the site within the next 12 months.

The centre would be built in Middlehaven close to the Riverside Stadium
Cool Runnings NE

Unused £4.5m Hartlepool performing arts academy seeks new owner

A £4.5m government-funded performing arts academy remains unused five years after it opened.

The Northern Lights Academy, in Hartlepool, Teesside, has a TV and sound studio, a computer suite, two dance studios and a 200-seat theatre.

However, the Headland Development Trust which ran it collapsed in 2012.

Hartlepool Borough Council said it is trying to find groups to take on the facility and has spent about £50,000 mothballing the building.

Mark Patton, the local authority's assistant director for education, learning and skills, said it would be "a crying shame" if the building was not used.

The Northern Lights Academy
BBC

Woman raped in Middlesbrough

BBC Tees

www.bbc.co.uk/BBCTees

Police are investigating after an 18-year-old woman was raped in Middlesbrough.

She was found in a distressed state in woods near Cheltenham Avenue at about 08:30 on Tuesday. 

Officers say she'd travelled from outside Middlesbrough, but it's not known how she got there.

Benitez speaks about the latest on transfers, injuries and season tickets

Listen as Newcastle United manager Rafa Benitez speaks to BBC Newcastle's NUFC commentator Mick Lowes:

Click here.

Rafa Benitez
PA

Author 'had been missing since taking dog for a walk'

Northumberland-born author Helen Bailey, who created the Electra Brown series for teenagers, was last seen near her home in Royston, Hertfordshire, on 11 April.  

The 51-year-old writer had left her house to take her miniature dachshund for a walk.

Today police searching for her said they had found a body in the grounds of her home.

Police searches
South Beds News Agency

Det Chief Supt Paul Fullwood, who leads the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire Major Crime Unit, said: "Helen's family have been updated of this significant development and are continuing to receive support from specialist family liaison officers. 

"As you can fully appreciate this will be an extremely difficult time for them and they have requested their privacy be respected at this time. 

"We are also mindful that Helen's disappearance, which has attracted significant media attention, has not only had an impact on her family and friends but also the local and wider community. 

"However, as we have a man in police custody it is not appropriate for us to make any further comment."

BreakingPolice searching for missing author find body

Police searching for a missing Northumberland-born author have found a body in the grounds of her home.

Helen Bailey, who lived in Royston,  Hertfordshire, was last seen on 11 April.

Specialist teams returned to the property on Monday and have been carrying out searches.

A 55-year-old man from Royston, who was arrested on Monday, has today been rearrested on suspicion of murder, police said.

Helen Bailey
Hertfordshire Police

Hartlepool councillor publicly criticises hospital trust

A councillor has condemned a health trust's plan to scrap fertility services, branding it "nonsensical".

North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Trust planned to end licensed fertility treatment, including IVF, at University Hospital Hartlepool on 31 March.

But the council won a High court injunction, claiming the trust had not properly consulted on the move.

North Tees and Hartlepool NHS Trust
Google

Councillor Ray Martin-Wells said problems in recruiting enough embryologists was a "lie all along".

The trust cited an "inability to recruit embryologists" to keep services going safely as the reason for the planned closure.

But Hartlepool Borough Council claimed health bosses acted too quickly, failed to properly consult with the public and could have done more to attract trained staff.

Football gossip: Reading hoping to grasp Reach

BBC Sport

Reading have made a move to sign Adam Reach from Middlesbrough on a season-long loan deal.

The 23-year-old found his first-team opportunities limited at Boro last season, so spent the majority of the campaign enjoying a successful loan spell at Preston, reports Get Reading.

Adam Reach
Getty Images

Video: Family reacts to Haltwhistle horse attacks

Last week a horse died and another was treated by vets after what police described as 'cruel and brutal' stab attacks.

The horses were grazing in a field in Haltwhistle in Northumberland when they were targeted sometime between 8 and 10 July.

The owners of the horses are said to be "devastated", and are now offering a £2,000 reward to anyone who can offer any information.

View more on twitter

Man found unconscious in Newcastle city centre

A man was found unconscious in Newcastle city centre yesterday.

Police were alerted to the man, who was near Greys Monument, at 19:50 last night.

They checked on him and found he was not breathing.

An officer then gave him CPR and with the help of a passing doctor they managed to get a pulse.

He was taken to hospital and is expected to make a full recovery.

Football gossip: No bids yet for Georginio Wijnaldum

BBC Sport

Newcastle want £27m for Georginio Wijnaldum but are yet to receive a single bid for the player, according to Sky Sports.

Wijnaldum is a summer target for Everton, while Tottenham have been linked with a move for the Dutch midfielder, who cost Newcastle £14.5m a year ago.

Georginio Wijnaldum
Getty Images

North East monuments lit up in solidarity with France

A number of North East monuments are to be lit up in solidarity with the French public following the devastating terror attack in Nice last night.

A lorry ploughed through a crowd during Bastille Day celebrations in the southern French city. At least 84 people are dead, including many children.

The Millennium Bridge over the River Tyne and the Penshaw Monument will both be lit in red white and blue tonight.

Something similar happened in November after the Paris attacks.

Appeal to trace fallen soldier's family

Here's more on the story about how the family of a soldier killed during World War Two is being sought after his final resting place was confirmed.

 Private Harry Vasey was killed during Operation Market Garden in Oosterbeek in 1944.  

Born in Durham in May 1916 to Harry Vasey and Annie Young, he enlisted in April 1940 when he lived in Bowburn, County Durham.

An MoD spokesman said: "Unfortunately that is about all we know about Private Vasey and his family and that's where the trail goes cold.

"We are hoping that there are some of his family still living in that area."

Operation Market Garden saw Allied forces land behind German lines near Arnhem
Crown Copyright

What is your favourite childhood book?

BBC Tees

www.bbc.co.uk/BBCTees

All this week we are celebrating children's literature as part of the BBC Awesome Authors and LoveToRead campaign.

Tomorrow the Summer Reading Challenge launches in libraries across the country. 

To mark the occasion, The Reading Agency has commissioned a poll of favourite characters from children's books.

What were the top books you may ask? Well, it turns out people love Winnie the Pooh more than any other children's book, followed by Harry Potter and George from The Famous Five.

Our reporter Matthew Nixon was at Drake the bookshop in Stockton this morning, where a story telling event was taking place to celebrate the campaign:

View more on twitter

Durham soldier's relatives sought for rededication service

The family of a soldier killed during World War Two is being sought after his final resting place was confirmed.

Private Harry Vasey, who was part of the 1st Airborne Battalion, The Border Regiment, was killed during Operation Market Garden in Oosterbeek in 1944.

Now his identity has been confirmed, the Ministry of Defence (MoD) want to trace his family so his grave can be rededicated in the Netherlands.

The MoD said plans were also in place to change his headstone.

Private Harry Vasey,
Crown Copyright

Cricket: Durham v Northamptonshire

Durham take on Northamptonshire tonight.

The match starts at 18:30 and you can follow live updates here.

In the meantime, cricket commentator for BBC Newcastle Martin Emmerson has posted an interview with Durham's coach on Twitter:

View more on twitter

Liam Fee killers to appeal against convictions

The two women convicted of killing two-year-old Liam Fee have launched an appeal.

The boy's mother Rachel, 31, and her civil partner Nyomi, 29, from Ryton in Gateshead, have lodged papers at the High Court in Edinburgh.

This is the first stage in the legal process before an appeal can be considered.

Earlier this month, the pair were sentenced to life imprisonment for the toddler's murder and abuse of two other boys in their care.

Nyomi (left), Rachel Fee and Liam.
BBC

Travel: One lane blocked on A1

BBC Travel

There's one lane blocked causing very slow traffic on the A1 northbound in Newcastle between Gosforth Park and Seaton Burn Roundabout because of an accident.

Follow the latest travel updates here.

Newcastle man still missing after more than six months

A fresh appeal for information has been issued about a man who was last seen in January.

Raymond French left his home in Newcastle on 2 January, telling his family that he was going to visit some friends, as he regularly does.

His family have not heard from him and are unable to contact him on his phone. He was reported missing on 2 April.

He is 5ft 11in and of large build and has links to many areas across the country including Yorkshire, Staffordshire, Lancashire, Nottingham and Devon and Cornwall. 

Raymond French
Northumbria Police

North East men complete rowing challenge

Rowing team The Rough Ready Row crew has completed a six-week challenge around the coast of Great Britain. 

They left Tower Bridge in London on 3 June, and returned yesterday.

Although the distance is 1,500 miles, they rowed closer to 1,850 due to being pushed back by gale force winds and having to detour for shelter. 

A few North East men were part of the crew, including Wim Stevenson from Alnwick and Andrew Mason from Barnard Castle.

Well done guys.

The crew set off flare to mark the end of their six-week rowing
Action PR

This week on the Sunday Politics in the North East

BBC Sunday Politics

This week on the Sunday Politics show we look at Theresa May’s new Cabinet and ask what her government will mean for the region and – in George Osborne’s absence – the Northern Powerhouse.

Also, the latest on the Labour leadership contest – how are the North’s MPs lining up? 

Guests include Middlesbrough Labour MP Andy McDonald and UKIP's Richard Elvin.

All that and more on Sunday at 11:00 on BBC One and online.

Theresa May
Getty Images

Man in van headbutts driver in road rage attack

A man was headbutted by a van driver in an apparent road rage incident at a roundabout in Bishop Auckland. 

The attack took place on West Auckland road, at the A6072 and A688 roundabout, at about 14:50 on Wednesday.

Two vehicles were involved in a minor collision.

Witnesses reported the van driver then got out of his vehicle, opened the other driver's car door and headbutted the 24-year-old.

The victim was treated by paramedics at the scene for a facial injury before going to Darlington Memorial Hospital.

His attacker drove away and has not yet been traced. 

Ben Gibson: 'We have an identity and camaraderie, the new lads must adhere to that'

The Gazette

Newspaper

Here's a look at today's front page - and a link to the latest Boro news

Front page
The Gazette

Rockcliffe Hall voted best hotel

Rockliffe Hall, in Hurworth, County Durham, has been named the number two hotel and golf resort in the UK by The Caterer magazine.

The resort has also been voted the best hotel in the North East.

Eamonn Elliott, chief executive at Rockliffe Hall, said: “To be the highest ranking hotel in the North East and the second best hotel golf resort in the country, only behind Gleneagles, is a fabulous achievement for Rockliffe and everyone who works here.”

Rockliffe Hall
Rockliffe Hall

Date set for final Didcot power station demolition

The final section of the collapsed Didcot Power Station will be demolished in the early hours of Sunday.

Four men died when the plant partially collapsed in February. One man's body has been recovered, but the remaining three have yet to be found.

A Teesside man lost his life in the disaster.

Michael Collings, 53, from Brotton,  died from multiple injuries at the site.

Didcot power station demolition
THAMES VALLEY POLICE

BreakingSentencing of girls who admitted kidnapping toddler adjourned

Sentencing of two teenage girls who admitted kidnapping a toddler from a Primark store in Newcastle has been adjourned until Monday.

We earlier reported how their victim was the second child they intended to grab from the store, and in both cases they picked on black children.

In addition, internet searches about "rape" were found on a tablet computer in their possession.

The pair will be dealt with by Mr Justice Globe sitting at Newcastle Crown Court.

Primark
PA

Newcastle United: No closer to selling players

Newcastle United insist that they have had no contact from other clubs over Moussa Sissoko and Georginio Wijnaldum amid speculation the duo could be close to leaving the Magpies.

Sissoko has been linked with Bundesliga outfit Borussia Dortmund and Wijnaldum with Tottenham in recent days, with potential suitors hoping to cash in on the club's relegation to the Championship.

However, Newcastle, who slapped a £35m price-tag on France international Sissoko earlier this week, have not received a single formal enquiry about either man, Press Association Sport understands.

Sissoko in particular has made no secret of his desire to leave St James' Park this summer.

Moussa Sissoko
Getty Images

Photos show lucky escape after coach catches fire

Some more on a story we brought you yesterday about a group of students who escaped minutes before their coach caught fire.

Derbyshire Fire and Rescue have released images on Twitter of the vehicle in flames - showing just how much of a lucky escape the students had.

As a precaution the coach stopped at a service station and the pupils and staff from Trinity Catholic College in Middlesbrough left the bus.

While they were inside the services the engine caught fire and the bus was damaged.

It could have ended in tragedy, but instead children and staff were unharmed and returned to school safely

Bus in flames
Derbyshire fire and rescue
The bus
Derbyshire fire and rescue

Gaston Ramirez and Antonio Barragan 'to join Boro pre-season trip'

BBC Tees

BBC Tees Sport

Middlesbrough expect Gaston Ramirez and Valencia defender Antonio Barragan to be part of the squad that travels to Marbella for a pre-season training camp next week, BBC Tees Sport has learned.

Boro have applied for a work permit for Ramirez and expect to get the green light to sign him before the weekend is through.

A move for 29-year-old right back Barragan is nearing completion.

Gaston Ramirez
Getty Images

The club are also on the verge of signing Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic, who's agreed a move despite competition from Arsenal, among others.

He's unlikely to be signed in time to take part in the Marbella training camp, however.

It also remains to be seen whether Alvaro Negredo is a Boro player by then - although it's being reported that Boro have agreed a deal for the Valencia striker.

Cathedral gets dressed up for Pride

Ana Guerra-Moore

BBC News Online

Gay pride is taking place in Newcastle this weekend.

Record-breaking crowds are expected, and more than 10,000 people will be involved in the events.

One of these events is of course a parade to celebrate the LGBT community.

The parade will leave Newcastle Civic Centre at about 12:00 tomorrow and will travel down John Dobson Street, Northumberland Street, Blackett St, Percy St and then to Claremont Road before entering Leazes Park to get to the Town Moor.

The front of the parade should arrive at the moor at about 12:45. 

Newcastle already seems to be getting into the spirit of things:

View more on twitter

Weather: A rainy morning

BBC Weather

After a mainly dry start, thickening cloud will bring outbreaks of rain from the west during the morning. 

The odd heavier burst is likely on the hills and becoming breezy, but eastern areas should be dry again by evening.  

Weather: weather_northeast.avi

May adds energy policy to business department

More on the story we told you yesterday - Theresa May's new Tory government has revamped the Department for Business, which will be led by Greg Clark.

Renamed the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy, it takes on energy policy.

As a result, the Department of Energy and Climate Change has been disbanded eight years after it was set up.

Greg Clarke, the MP for Tunbridge Wells, grew up in South Bank in Middlesbrough and went on to study economics at Cambridge University before earning a doctorate at the London School of Economics for a thesis on incentive payments.  

Greg Clark
Getty Images

Girls who lured toddler from Primark to be sentenced today

Two girls aged 13 and 14 who used sweets to entice a toddler away from her mother while she shopped in a Primark store in Newcastle will be sentenced today.

Their victim was the second child they intended to grab from the store, having tried unsuccessfully to trick another little girl's mother. 

In both cases they picked on black children.

Alarming internet searches about "rape" were also found on a tablet computer, it emerged.

This video explains how the events unfolded that day: 

Travel: Burst water main on A184

There's slow moving traffic in Felling, Gateshead, after a water main burst:

View more on twitter

Good morning. Welcome to BBC Local Live

Ana Guerra-Moore

BBC News Online

Morning. Welcome to our live coverage.

We're aware your thoughts are probably in France this morning. You can keep up with the latest news from Nice here.

We'll bring you a full day of live news, sport, weather and travel updates.

Go ahead, get in touch. We're on FacebookTwitter or you can send us an email at northeast.locallive@bbc.co.uk.