Got a TV Licence?

You need one to watch live TV on any channel or device, and BBC programmes on iPlayer. It’s the law.

Find out more
I don’t have a TV Licence.

Summary

  1. Gunmen and suicide bombers attacked Ayatollah Khomeini's shrine and parliament in Iranian capital
  2. 12 people have been killed, officials say, and dozens more injured
  3. A suicide bomber died at the mausoleum. Four attackers inside parliament were reportedly killed
  4. So-called Islamic State claims it carried out attacks, without providing any evidence

Live Reporting

By Sarah Fowler and David Molloy

All times stated are UK

Photo emerges of 'suicide vest'

A photo being widely shared by Iranian media outlets purports to show a suicide vest recovered from inside the parliament building after the attack.

Some reports say it was successfully defused by special forces on the scene.

View more on twitter

Image from inside parliament shows heavy police presence

Iranian policemen are deployed inside the parliament building to protect Iranian lawmakers during an attack in Tehran, Iran, 7 June 2017.
EPA

The story so far...

If you're just joining us, here's a brief run-down of events this morning:

  • News initially broke of gunfire at Iran's parliament building this morning, injuring at least one guard
  • Minutes later, it emerged that a simultaneous attack - a suicide bomb - had taken place at the tomb of the founder of modern Iran
  • Gunfire continued in and around parliament over the next few hours, while MPs continued scheduled sessions in another part of the complex
  • Rumours spreading on social media of a hostage situation were denied by officials
  • Special forces eventually surrounded and killed all four known attackers at the parliament building
  • At the mausoleum, press reports suggest that three surviving suspects were arrested after the fourth, a lone female suicide bomber, detonated her vest
  • At least 12 people were killed and many more injured in both attacks

Female suicide bomber confirmed by state news

The latest report from the IRNA confirmed the earlier news that "one female suicide assailant" detonated a bomb outside the mausoleum.

Doubt was cast on the report of a female suicide bomber after it emerged the parliament attackers had dressed as women to gain entry.

Three women and one man involved in mausoleum attack

According to Iranian English-language Press TV, three women and one man were involved in the attack at the Ayatollah Khomeini mausoleum.

The TV outlet had earlier reported that three surviving suspects at the mausoleum had been arrested - the fourth is believed to be the suicide attacker.

Breaking'12 killed' in parliament and mausoleum attacks

Iranian officials are now saying there were up to 12 fatalities and dozens more injured in Wednesday's attacks, various media sources report.

Attack 'ended' with all four attackers killed

Fars news agency has said that all four attackers at the parliament building have now been killed by security forces, and the attack is "over".

At the second location, the mausoleum, some reports have said the situation is calm - but it is not yet clear if all attackers are accounted for.

View more on twitter

Dramatic images show rescue operation at parliament

Members of Iranian forces take cover during an attack on the Iranian parliament in central Tehran, Iran, 7 June 2017.
Reuters
A woman is evacuated during an attack on the Iranian parliament in central Tehran, Iran, 7 June 2017
Reuters
Members of Iranian forces run during an attack on the Iranian parliament in central Tehran, Iran, 7 June 2017.
Reuters

BreakingTwo dead, 38 injured, state media report

State news agency IRNA says two people have died in hospital, out of a total of 38 injured.

It is not clear if that number includes a parliamentary guard who was earlier reported killed.

The news agency quoted health ministry official Abbass Zarenejad as saying the remaining injured were being treated in four different hospitals.

Iran's health minister, Seyyed Hassan Hashemi, visited the victims, the report said.

Worst terrorist attack in Iran since 1980s

Jenny Norton

BBC Persian

This is the most serious terrorist violence in Tehran since the turbulent early years after the 1979 Islamic Revolution.

It will come as a huge shock to ordinary Iranians, who have got used to living in a country which is generally far more stable and safer than most of its neighbours.

Iranian intelligence services say a number of people have been arrested, including what they say is a team planning a third attack in the capital this morning.

It’s not clear at this stage who was behind the violence but so-called Islamic State (IS) has claimed responsibility. If confirmed this will be a first.

Despite Iran’s active involvement in fighting IS in both Iraq and Syria the group has so far not carried out any attacks inside Iran, and appears to have little support in this predominantly Shia country.

However in recent months the group has stepped up its Farsi-language propaganda efforts – targeting Iran’s restive Sunni minority, and the Iranian intelligence agencies claim to have foiled an number of IS-inspired plots.

'State of emergency' across Iran

Iran has announced a nationwide state of emergency in response to the attacks on Wednesday, IRTV1 quotes the deputy interior minister for security affairs as saying.

"All sites identified as possible targets for these groups have been secured," Hossein Zolfaghari told the channel, adding that he believed the incident at parliament would be over "in the next few hours".

He also said the attackers entered the parliament's side building dressed as women.

A correspondent for Iran's IRIB broadcaster, who is stationed outside the Khomeini mausoleum, says the situation there is calm.

IS video 'from inside parliament building'

BBC Monitoring

News from around the globe

The Islamic State group (IS) has issued a video it claims was filmed by one of the attackers inside Iran’s parliament. The video was released by the group’s news outlet Amaq on the messaging app Telegram.

In the 24-second video, one of the alleged attackers (out of shot) appears to fire his weapon twice at a man lying motionless on the floor.

The footage has not been independently verified.

Attackers 'dressed as women'

Iran's deputy interior minister says the attackers who entered parliament were dressed as women, according to Tasnim news agency.

One of them was shot dead, the other detonated a suicide vest, he added.

Smoke coming from parliament building

Photos show smoke outside Iran's parliament.

It was earlier reported by state media that an attacker had detonated a suicide vest at the building.

Smoke rise from the Iranian parliament building during an attack in Tehran, Iran, 7 June 2017.
EPA

'A minor issue' - parliament speaker downplays attack

Iran's state news agency IRNA quoted the speaker of the parliament, Ali Larijani, downplaying the attack today.

He said “some coward terrorists" had infiltrated the building, but "were seriously confronted".“This is a minor issue but reveals that the terrorists pursue troublemaking,” he said.“Iran is particularly the active and effective hub of fighting against terrorism and they want to damage this trend.”

A note to President Trump on Iran attacks

Richard Haass, the president of the Council of Foreign Relations and a former top diplomat under George W Bush, has some advice for US President Donald Trump:

View more on twitter

Surrounding streets ‘under full control’

Iranian lawmaker Mojtaba Zonnour says security forces have the streets near Iran’s parliament “under full control” but are still trying to control the situation inside the building, reports Mehr news agency.

“The security forces want to take the attackers alive so that they can find out who is behind the incident,” Zonnour told Mehr.

IS has recently called for attacks to target Iran

BBC Monitoring

News from around the globe

So-called Islamic State (IS) has this year released a number of propaganda pieces focused on inciting attacks inside Iran.

IS's weekly Arabic-language newspaper al-Naba featured front page editorials in February and May urging Iran's Sunni minority to strike government and religious sites inside the country.

An IS documentary-style video in March featured militants who were introduced as Iranian fighters in IS ranks based in Iraq.

Speaking in Farsi, they denounced the Iranian government and the religious establishment, including the country's current spiritual leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei.

By mounting a successful attack, IS could claim a major coup against a traditional foe that other Sunni jihadist groups, including its rival al-Qaeda, have failed to target in the past.

Situation continues at parliament

Press TV, meanwhile, has posted another video of continued shooting in the area:

View more on twitter

Security responds to Tehran incident

Security and ambulances at Iran's parliament

One suicide bomber stopped, state media claims

State media outlet IRNA confirms that one of the attackers at the parliament building detonated a suicide belt.

The agency also said that another "suicide assailant" was killed before detonating their device.

Crowds gather around parliament

Despite the sound of gunfire, a substantial crowd has gathered at a police cordon near the parliament building, according to local press.

View more on twitter

Iranian MPs vacate parliament building

BBC Monitoring

News from around the globe

Iranian MPs have left the hall of parliament in co-ordination with security forces amid an attack by gunmen, Iran's Young Journalists Club (YJC) reported.

Security forces are trying to detain the remaining attackers who stormed the Majlis (parliament) earlier today and are thought to be located on different floors of the building.

There have been reports of hostages being taken.

A plenary session of the Majlis had continued for quite a while after the initial reports of the attack.

Snipers take up position near parliament

Iran's Press TV tweets:

IS claims reponsibility for attacks

So-called Islamic State (IS) has claimed responsibility for the attacks in Tehran over an encrypted messaging app, saying its fighters had struck both locations.

However, the group provided no evidence to back up its claim.

House floor right now - smiles all around

Amid the ongoing situation, Iranian lawmakers posted smiling selfies to Instagram to show that they are going about their business as normal.

However, some were later taken down as the situation developed.

This post was updated to reflect the absence of two Instagram posts which have been removed.

View more on twitter

BreakingSecond suicide bombing at mausoleum

Iranian state television and the Fars news agency are both reporting a second suicide bombing at the mausoleum.

Photo: Child lowered from parliament window

Fars news agency tweets a photo, apparently showing a child being lowered to safety from a window of the parliament building:

View more on twitter

Anti-terror special forces sent to parliament

BBC Monitoring

News from around the globe

Iran’s Anti-Terror Special Forces have been sent to parliament following shootings in the building, says Tasnim news agency.

Security forces are in the northern part of the building and gunfire between them and the attackers is continuing, it says.

First agency pictures appear

Images released by Reuters show onlookers gathered near the parliament building in central Tehran, with a heavy police presence.

People gather near the parliament's building during a gunmen attack in central Tehran, Iran, on 7 June 2017. T
Reuters
A view shows the parliament's building during a gunmen attack in central Tehran, Iran, June 7, 2017.
Reuters
Iranian police stand near the parliament"s building during a gunmen attack in central Tehran, Iran, 7 June 2017.
Reuters

BreakingSuicide bomb reported at parliament

Reuters news agency, citing state broadcaster IRIB, is now reporting that an attacker has detonated a suicide bomb at the Iranian parliament building.

Local news agencies are confirming the report, adding that the attacker was on the fourth floor at the time.

Several media outlets had posted video with the sound of gunshots, while the parliament itself claimed business was continuing as normal.

Reports of arrests near mausoleum

There are now reports that "attackers" have been arrested near the mausoleum, where a suicide bomb was apparently detonated.

Some earlier reports had mentioned only one attacker at that location.

View more on twitter

Gunshots heard at parliament

Iran's Press TV posts a short video to Twitter, in which gunshots can be heard.

However, it is not clear when the video was recorded.

View more on twitter

Iranian TV 'downplays' attack with only brief mentions

BBC Monitoring

News from around the globe

A screengrab from TV broadcasts shows picture-in-picture of a guest speaking while parliament is shown operating in the lower left
IRINN
IRINN ran footage of parliament operating as normal during its broadcast

Iran's state-run TV channels have made only brief mention of the two gun attacks in the capital.

Rolling news channel IRINN first reported the news with a breaking caption at 06:55 GMT and soon after spoke by phone with an MP, who said the legislature was going about its business despite the commotion.

IRINN gave updates via breaking news captions for about the next half hour.

At 07:41 GMT, it began showing a live picture-in-picture feed from the parliament hall, where a session was in progress.

An accompanying caption made no mention of the attacks.

Channel One (IRTV1) and Channel Two (IRTV2) have not interrupted programming and have not mentioned the incident as of 08:00 GMT.

First attack in Tehran 'in long time'

The New York Times bureau chief in Tehran, Thomas Erdbrink, gives a bit more context and background to the attack, highlighting the low level of security at Khomeini's shrine. It's worth noting that we do not yet know the identity or motivations of the attackers.

View more on twitter
View more on twitter
View more on twitter

Armed response at parliament building

Photos circulating online and in local media appear to show an armed response to the situation at the parliament building.

Accounts tweeting the photos claim they were taken in the last few minutes.

View more on twitter

Emergency security meeting called in Tehran

The interior minister has called for an emergency security meeting to be held in Tehran in the wake of the attacks, the Iranian Students' News Agency (ISNA) reports.

Parliament session continues as normal, say state media

Despite reports of the situation continuing at the parliament building, state news agency IRNA says that the public parliamentary session is "under way".

It quotes the parliament's PR director, Mahdi Kiaie, saying security forces and Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps are controlling the situation.

Iran president's office boosts security amid attacks

BBC Monitoring

News from around the globe

The Iranian president's office has enhanced security measures following the attacks at the parliament building and the Imam Khomeini shrine, Fars news agency reports.

Security measures for checking visitors and vehicles have been enhanced at the site in Tehran, it says.