News tweets: Tupac, Secret Service and Seacrest
For the week of 15 April, here is the news - condensed into 10 topical tweets, some more serious than others.
1. A 24-year-old won a Pulitzer Prize, according to a depressing e-mail from your mother.
Comedian Matt Goldich (@ MattGoldich ) after 24-year-old Sara Gamin won the Pulitzer Prize for her work on the Penn State child abuse scandal.
2 . Evidently no truth to the rumour that CNN has offered Piers Morgan's job to the Tupac hologram.
Journalist Chris Lehmann (@ lehmannchris ). A hologram of late hip hop artist Tupac Shakur performed at the Coachella music festival.
3. Well, time to get a head start working on ideas for 150th anniversary of Titanic.
New York Post film critic Kyle Smith (@ rkylesmith ) on the tail-end of Titanic memorial festivities, including two Twitter accounts that live-tweeted events as they would have happened on the ship.
4. Angelina Jolie is so damn skinny, Brad Pitt had to have the engagement ring taken in.
Comedian Joan Rivers (@ joan_rivers ) after Brangelina finally decided to make it official.
5. It's really ridiculous for the Secret Service to "investigate" Nugent for his comments. TIP: He is Ted Nugent. He talks like this.
Slate writer Dave Weigel (@ daveweigel ) after Ted Nugent said he would be "in jail or dead" if President Obama was re-elected, which many took as a threat to harm the president.
6. Help us Ryan Seacrest, you're our only hope.
New York post editorial writer Josh Greenman (@ Joshgreenman ) in response to Dick Clark's death at 82. Seacrest is considered the heir to the New Year's Eve throne.
7. I miss the old days when the Secret Service was serviced secretly.
Actress Bette Midler (@ BetteMidler ) after members of the Secret Service were caught in a prostitution scandal.
8. Now you've all done it. You've guaranteed a dog question in the first Romney-Obama debate. Possibly from Wolf Blitzer.
Atlantic writer Conor Friedersdorf (@ conor64 ). In response to the many attacks the Romney campaign received for once travelling with the family dog on the roof, they pointed out a detail in Obama's memoir that his step-father fed him dog meat as a child.
9. The phrase "The best Nicholas Sparks film since The Notebook" is a warning, gentlemen. A clear, bright warning.
GOP strategist Rick Wilson (@ therickwilson ) will not attend a midnight screening of The Lucky Ones.
10 Donate to the Obama campaign to win dinner with George Clooney? One way to court the women's vote....
BBC.com North America editor Claudia Milne (@ claudiamilne ) sees an ulterior motive in the latest Obama fundraising scheme.