7 questions on early retirementContinue reading the main story
7 questions on early retirement
Double Olympic gold medallist Rebecca Adlington has hung up her swimming goggles at the age of 23. But can you answer these questions about early retirement?
1.) Multiple Choice Question
Greta Garbo and Grace Kelly are both known for retiring early. But who was younger when they made their last film?
- Greta Garbo
- Grace Kelly
2.) Multiple Choice Question
Which of these swimmers who retired early did NOT try to make a comeback?
- Sharron Davies
- Adrian Moorhouse
- Ian Thorpe
- Mark Spitz
3.) Multiple Choice Question
Celebrated French poet Arthur Rimbaud gave up writing at the age of 20. Who played him on screen in 1995?
- Leonardo DiCaprio
- Christian Bale
- Matthew MacFadyen
4.) Multiple Choice Question
French midfielder Eric Cantona retired aged 30, at the height of his game. Which of these careers did he NOT go on to pursue?
- Pop lyricist
- Beach footballer
5.) Multiple Choice Question
Craig Logan was bass guitarist for the 80s boyband Bros, but retired after only a year in the limelight. Which act's manager did he go on to become?
- Christina Aguilera
- Gwen Stefani
6.) Multiple Choice Question
Which of these female tennis stars retired at the youngest age?
- Anna Kournikova
- Tracy Austin
- Martina Hingis
7.) Multiple Choice Question
Who blamed illegal file-sharing for making it impossible for new artists to earn a living when they announced their temporary retirement from making music?
- Lily Allen
- Christina Aguilera
- It's Grace Kelly. Greta Garbo was 36 when she made her last film The Two-Faced Woman, in 1941. Grace Kelly was 26 when she gave up acting to become Princess Grace of Monaco.
- It's Adrian Moorhouse, who is now a successful businessman. Sharron Davies and Mark Spitz both attempted comebacks after their Olympic triumphs, and Ian Thorpe still hopes to compete in this year's swimming world championship in Barcelona.
- It was Leonardo DiCaprio in Total Eclipse. The arthouse film's unexpected success on DVD was put down by some to it featuring the Titanic star naked.
- It's restaurateur. Cantona has written the lyrics for an album recorded by his wife, Rachida Brakni, starred in films such as Elizabeth and Looking for Eric, and managed and played in the French beach football team.
- It was Pink. Logan also worked as managing director of the record label RCA, and now manages the singer Cher Lloyd.
- It's Tracy Austin, who quit for the first time at the age of 20 in 1983, before making a comeback. Martina Hingis was 22 when she retired for the first time because of persistent injuries in 2003, but she also made a comeback, eventually retiring in 2007. Russian star Anna Kournikova was 25 when she officially retired in 2007, although 2003 was her last year on the World Tennis Federation circuit.
- It's Lily Allen, who said in 2009 that she wanted to focus on fashion for a while. Jay-Z also announced he was retiring from making music in 2003, saying that The Black Album would be his last.
0 - 2 : Clear your desk
3 - 5 : Fond farewell
6 - 7 : Golden handshake
For past quizzes including our weekly news quiz, 7 days 7 questions, expand the grey drop-down below - also available on the Magazine page (and scroll down)