Spacecraft shown in approximate proportion to the space shuttle. Picture credits: Boeing, SpaceX, Sierra Nevada Corp, Nasa and Blue Origin.
The shuttle's successors
After three decades, the shuttle era is all but over and the United States no longer has the means to send astronauts into space. Nasa is looking to the private sector to provide a new generation of space vehicles to take on the work of delivering crew and cargo to the International Space Station and low-Earth orbit. We detail five of the possible successors to the shuttle.
As well as serving as a taxi to the International Space Station Boeing's vehicle could also take paying passengers into space.CST-100
In 2010 SpaceX became the first privately owned company to send a spacecraft into orbit and recover it.Dragon
Sierra Nevada Corp
The only shuttle-like winged vehicle to be in the race, but at only 10m (32ft) long it is much shorter than its predecessor.Dream Chaser
The MPCV is designed for much longer missions than the other craft detailed here - it could venture as far as the Moon or Mars.MPCV
Of the four companies receiving Nasa funding, perhaps the least is known about Blue Origin and its space vehicle.Space vehicle
Two billion cups of coffee are drunk around the world every day but scientists says the most popular species, Arabica, is under threat - they are now working to save it from extinction.
Broadcaster Adrian Chiles recently set himself a challenge - to go to church every day for more than a month. Why?
Nothing is ever certain at Eurovision but Sweden's win cannot be described as a complete surprise, writes the BBC's Emma Saunders.
BBC News takes a look at some of the more dramatic feuds over wills and estates of well-known figures that have taken place over the decades.
- 'Beautiful Mind' mathematician John Nash killed in crash
- Jed Allen hunted as three found dead in Didcot house
- Ayr Hospital surgeon amputated leg with 'rusty hacksaw'
- Iraqi forces lack will to fight - Ashton Carter
- Greece 'cannot afford IMF repayment' in June - minister
- What I learnt from 46 consecutive days in church
- Eurovision Song Contest: Sweden's Mans Zelmerlow wins
- Emma Caldwell murder to be reinvestigated
- Gary Barlow performs at fan's wedding in Liverpool
- Tax credits change 'key to EU renegotiation'