The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Features & Analysis
- EU mulls fresh response to Russia
- Jews 'forced' from Guatemala village
- Iran anger over new US sanctions
- Philippine Syria troops 'attacked'
- China warns of Hong Kong 'meddling'
- Scientists solve 'sliding rocks' puzzle
- Cold War US spy dies in prison
- Sunni rebels 'ready to turn on Islamic State'
- Making houses out of mushrooms
- Lesotho army 'seizes key buildings'
Elsewhere on the BBC
Submit photos of your colourful life for a chance to be featured on BBC Travel
Searching for the DNA of dance music – the quest to find the perfect party anthem