The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Features & Analysis
- Obama condemns killings of NY police
- Why do mornings get darker after 21 December?
- The largest vessel the world has ever seen
- Elton John and David Furnish marry
- The family with 34 children - and counting
- Heinz site closure 'devastating'
- 'Allahu Akbar' attacker shot in France
- US 'urges China' to curb NK hacking
- Biker dies after crash with van
- Ferguson bows out of US talk show
Elsewhere on the BBC
How well do you know the world? Play Geoguessr to find out!
A website which tracks Father Christmas, plus other sites and apps to keep you entertained