The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Features & Analysis
- How lasers revealed a lost city in the jungle
- IS 'not America's fight alone'
- Syria air strikes
- Tiger 'kills boy' at Delhi zoo
- Karzai warns successors beware of US
- Brian Cox: 'Multiverse' makes sense
- Israel murder suspects shot dead
- Bin Laden son-in-law jailed for life
- Bollywood cleavage row shows India's 'crass' side
- Liberia in 'trees for cash' deal
Elsewhere on the BBC
The vivid skin of the Amazon's golden poison arrow frog contains toxins strong enough to kill a human
Can the location of Islamic State militants be found with open source data?