The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Features & Analysis
- Sea search for Malaysia jet 'debris'
- China media: Missing Malaysian plane
- Mexico kills 'long-dead' drug lord
- Asian markets tumble on weak data
- New threat to ozone layer identified
- Day six in Pistorius murder trial
- Ukraine gripped by rival rallies
- Law and order breaks down ahead of Crimea vote
- Blood test 'finds Alzheimer's early'
- What we know about Flight MH370
Elsewhere on BBC News
Test your geographical knowledge with BBC Travel's Geoguessr
The sport technology that can boost performance, but will it give you a winning advantage?