The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Features & Analysis
- Harrison Ford 'hurt in plane crash'
- Mud 'preserved 2,600-year-old brain'
- Nine hurt in China station attack
- The man who posted himself to Australia
- Syria Nusra chief 'killed in strike'
- Overheard on the ladies' coach
- Plane skids off New York runway
- Nuclear deal 'very bad for Iranians'
- Disrupting chemicals ‘cost billions’
- Quiz of the week's news
Elsewhere on the BBC
BBC Autos takes a look at 10 of the most eye-catching new cars at the 2015 Geneva motor show
The latest in robotics including software that can design electronics to solve problems