The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Features & Analysis
- Search after Everest avalanche
- Study: US is an oligarchy, not a democracy
- Korea ship: Third officer 'had helm'
- Harrowing text messages as ferry sank
- Deal struck to calm Ukraine crisis
- Female cave insects have 'penises'
- Obama cautious over Ukraine deal
- How 420 became code for marijuana
- Deadly attack on South Sudan UN base
- Artists have unique brain structure
Elsewhere on the BBC
Belfast is shifting its creative focus - from unconventional street art to modern sculptures
The motorised skateboard which can reach speeds of 17mph (27 km/h) and other travel technology