The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Features & Analysis
- Boy in India has 232 teeth removed
- Loud welcome for loud US tourists
- UN warns of Israel Gaza 'war crimes'
- 10 theories about the Brooklyn Bridge flags
- Which sport are you made for? Take our test
- Taiwan plane crash 'kills dozens'
- Geldof died of heroin overdose
- S Leone chief Ebola doctor infected
- MH17 victims arrive in Netherlands
- Will MH17 air disaster damage Putin?
Elsewhere on the BBC
Is it possible to strengthen your brain's synapses while you slumber?
Why there is still hope and optimism for the rescue of Nigeria’s kidnapped schoolgirls