The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Features & Analysis
- Eight-year-old boy died of scurvy
- How Russia outfoxes its enemies
- AirAsia co-pilot 'was flying plane'
- Ebola virus mutating, scientists say
- Malaysia ends search for MH370 plane
- Give us your source code, says China
- Man killed on Scorsese film set
- Hezbollah 'wants no Israel conflict'
- Nuclear scientist jailed in US
- China's super-rich communist Buddhists
Elsewhere on the BBC
A US TV show examining the Cold War is offering a radical revision of history, writes Eric Kohn
The masked Balkan carnival attracting thousands to the streets of Vevcani