The ups and downs of social networks
Facebook has announced that it now has 500m active users, just six years after it was launched. The site has become the poster child of social networking on the web. While some others have seen growth, MySpace, Flickr and Bebo appear to have declined in the past year, according to these figures from Nielsen. Interesting international variations are seen, both in the amount of time Facebook users spend on the site each month and in the competing networks' popularity in different countries.
Features & Analysis
- MH17 jet 'downed by shrapnel'
- Deadly violence in Gaza and Israel
- AH5017 pilots 'asked to turn back'
- Japanese girl 'dismembers classmate'
- Burma Top Gear breached Ofcom rules
- Lightning kills man on US beach
- Germany's super-shy super-rich
- Russia to appeal $50bn Yukos payout
- Tripoli fuel fire 'out of control'
- Indian or American: Congressman's 'oops'
Elsewhere on the BBC
Driving dangerously and falling off buildings are all part of the day job for Bobby Holland Hanton
How free wi-fi can enable businesses to track our movements and learn more about us