Disney confirms selfie stick ban at theme parks
- 29 June 2015
- From the section Technology
Disney has banned selfie sticks from its theme parks over safety concerns, the company has confirmed.
The gadgets were already prohibited on rides but now visitors will be asked not to bring them to the parks at all.
A spokeswoman told the BBC: "Handheld extension poles have become a growing safety concern for both our guests and cast."
The ban comes into effect at Disney parks in the United States on Tuesday.
Paris and Hong Kong will follow suit on Wednesday.
The long arm of a selfie stick helps users take a better self-portrait, but there are fears that they could cause injury if somebody was accidentally struck with one during a photo opportunity.
The gadget also poses a safety risk on rides as its long arm can extend far outside the carriages and could come into contact with a ride's mechanism.
Visitors will now be asked to leave their selfie sticks in lockers at the parks' entrances to collect later.
A number of football clubs, the National Gallery, and the All England Lawn Tennis & Croquet Club in Wimbledon have already banned the sticks over concerns they could cause injury or be a nuisance to other visitors.
Apple banned the device from audiences attending its annual WWDC developers conference, held in the US earlier this month.
A spokesperson for St John Ambulance said the first aid charity had not noticed a surge in selfie stick-related injuries but did offer advice for anybody hurt.
"If you get hit in the head with a selfie stick, sit down and hold a cold compress against the injury," said training officer Clive James.
"Advise the casualty to seek medical help if they develop signs of a worsening head injury - like dizziness or nausea, confusion and loss of memory of events preceding the injury."