Most recent

Daughter's death blamed on 'professional indifference and neglect'

Jenny Walrond

Health Correspondent, BBC Spotlight

The father of a schizophrenic woman who died alone and malnourished in an unheated flat says her death was caused by "professional indifference and neglect".

Ruth Mitchell died in September 2012 after the condition caused her to isolate herself from family and health professionals.

Ruth Mitchell
Russell Mitchell

A Safeguarding Adults Review published today says opportunities to help the 40-year-old were missed and the organisation responsible for her care - Livewell South West, formerly Plymouth Community Healthcare - has apologised for its failings.

"I think professional indifference and neglect was responsible for the demise of my daughter and I think that's the tragedy of it as it needn't have happened," Russell Mitchell said.

He and his wife, Anne, are to ask Devon and Cornwall Police to consider a charge of corporate manslaughter.

Apology for neglect death victim's parents

Jenny Walrond

Health Correspondent, BBC Spotlight

The organisation responsible for the welfare of a schizophrenic woman, who died from malnourishment through self neglect, has apologised for its failings.

When Ruth Mitchell, died in September 2012, she had only a kitchen chair and table, a microwave and a fridge in her home. She had been sleeping on a bare floor.

Her flat had no heating or hot water for the last four years of her life, and she had isolated herself from her family and professionals.

A Safeguarding Adults Review published on Thursday has found there were missed opportunities to help her.

Mr and Mrs Mitchell

Livewell Southwest - which was called Plymouth Community Healthcare - says it will participate with any further investigation, but her parents, are calling for the organisation to be charged with corporate manslaughter.

'Psychotic' knife attacker detained

Forest Hill
The attack happened on an Overground train near Forest Hill on 12 December 2016

A man with schizophrenia who repeatedly stabbed a train passenger after yelling "I want to kill all the Muslims" has been found not guilty of attempted murder by reason of insanity.

Adrian Brown, 38, experienced a "severe psychotic episode" when he stabbed Muhammed Ali on a London Overground train on 12 December 2016.

Judge Deborah Taylor QC ordered that Brown should be detained indefinitely.

She added he would only be released on the order of a judge or the government.

Brown, of Brockley Rise, south-east London, appeared via video link from Broadmoor Hospital during the hearing.

A jury found Brown not guilty following a two-day trial at Southwark Crown Court.

He was also found not guilty, by reason of insanity, of possession of an offensive weapon and of assault by beating of Mr Ali.

Ilfracombe homemade bomb: Man in hospital until Ministry of Justice rules he can leave

Andrew Segal

Local Live

A paranoid schizophrenic sent to hospital to treat mental health problems after he was found with a bomb cannot be released without the agreement of the Ministry of Justice.

Timothy Holman
Devon and Cornwall Police

Timothy Holman, 42, from Ilfracombe, pleaded guilty to making an explosive substance at Exeter Crown Court over the "viable" device found as his home in Osborne Road last December.

Part of the residential street was evacuated for two nights and his home was searched following a short siege.

Osborne Road

Holman built a pipe bomb in his bedroom and was making three other devices when police discovered his array of weapons, the court heard. Officers also found a machete, a knife, a baseball bat, BB guns and some copper pipes.

Under the order, he will be treated at Langdon Hospital in Dawlish.