Union boss Bob Crow asks police if his phone was hacked

RMT leader Bob Crow
Image caption Bob Crow's union has been involved in a dispute with London Underground

The leader of a major union has asked police to investigate whether he has been the victim of phone hacking.

Bob Crow, general secretary of the Rail, Maritime and Transport Union (RMT), said he believed he may have been targeted by the News of the World.

"RMT has had suspicions that journalists may have had access to private information about my movements and my union's activities," he added.

A spokeswoman for the News of the World declined to comment on the allegations.

In 2007, the News of the World's royal editor, Clive Goodman, and a private investigator, Glenn Mulcaire, were jailed for intercepting the voicemails of royal aides.

Last week, the Metropolitan Police launched a fresh investigation into phone hacking after receiving what it called "significant new information".

The force has been accused by a number of public figures - including former Deputy Prime Minister Lord Prescott - of failing to carry out thorough inquiries in the past.

'Sums of money'

Mr Crow said in a statement on Monday: "RMT has had suspicions that journalists may have had access to private information about my movements and my union's activities that date back to the year 2000 and we are now asking for the police, as part of their renewed investigation, to disclose to us any evidence or information that they may have uncovered in respect of the News of the World."

The union leader has been involved in a number of high-profile disputes in recent years, including a series of strikes on the London Underground.

On Sunday, former MP George Galloway said he had been told by the Met that they had found evidence he was targeted by Mulcaire.

Media playback is unsupported on your device
Media captionGeorge Galloway has launched a civil action against the News of the World

"I began a civil action for breach of privacy. I have a court date some months hence," he told the BBC.

"The News of the World are busily offering me substantial sums of money."

The newspaper refused to comment on Mr Galloway's allegations.

Mr Galloway is one of a number of public figures taking action against the newspaper over allegations that their phones were hacked.

At the time of Goodman and Mulcaire's convictions, the paper's editor, Andy Coulson, resigned, although he said he had no idea that phone hacking had been going on.

Mr Coulson subsequently became David Cameron's chief of communications, but resigned from that post earlier this month, saying the media storm surrounding ongoing hacking claims had prevented him from doing the job properly.

More on this story

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites