Man 'electrocuted' in Tunbridge Wells M&S store

  • 4 November 2012
  • From the section UK
Marks and Spencer sign
Image caption The incident happened at a Kent M&S store

The death of a man who is believed to have been electrocuted at a Marks and Spencer store in Kent was work-related, police have said.

The incident happened at the Royal Victoria Place shopping centre in Calverley Road, Tunbridge Wells.

Kent Police and an air ambulance were called just after 15:30 GMT but the man, who has not yet been named, was pronounced dead at the scene.

He is thought to be a contractor called in to repair electrical equipment.

Police said the death was no longer being treated as suspicious and stressed that the cause of death had not yet been confirmed.

A Kent Police spokeswoman said officers were not looking for anyone else in connection with the death.

The force had initially been treating the incident as suspicious while officers worked out the full circumstances.

'Tragic incident'

His next of kin have not yet been informed, she said. Police have not disclosed the man's age.

Police said they were called by paramedics from the South East Coast ambulance service who arrived at the scene first.

The store was not evacuated as the scene was not in a public area of the shop, police said.

Tunbridge Wells Borough Council has been told of the incident and its health and safety officer will be liaising with police.

A spokeswoman for M&S said: "There has been a tragic incident at the store today and our thoughts are with the family concerned.

"We are now concentrating on doing all we can to assist the emergency services with their investigation and as such are unable to comment any further at this stage."

The Royal Victoria Place shopping centre declined to comment on the incident.

Related Internet links

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites