Savile suspect: 'Inquiry has gone too far'

Help

A former BBC producer who was released without charge yesterday after being arrested by detectives investigating the Jimmy Savile abuse scandal has said the police operation has "gone too far".

Wilfred De'Ath, who has always denied any wrongdoing, was arrested last year in Cambridgeshire over an allegation of indecent assault on a girl in the 60s. But the complainant has since withdrawn her statement, said Alison Saunders, chief crown prosecutor for CPS London.

He told the Today programme's John Humphrys that he believed the police were over-compensating now because they failed to get Savile at the time and said that the investigation, codenamed Operation Yewtree, was "getting silly".

Asked about a previous admission that he had challenged Savile about spending the night with a girl who was possibly as young as 10 years old, Mr De'Ath said: "I confronted him on the evening of transmission, I did say that to him, I said 'I think you are living dangerously'. He said 'oh, no, no, no' and he just brushed me off."

And he added: "I am pretty disgusted, if I am honest with myself I am full of self loathing that I didn't do anything about it at the time."

A clarification: Mr De'Ath said that the Director of Public Prosecutions was warning of further high profile arrests. It was actually a Crown Prosecution Service prosecutor.

First broadcast on BBC Radio 4's Today programme on Tuesday 26 March 2013.

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.