Operation Yewtree: Man, 82, arrested in Berkshire
- 29 March 2013
- From the section UK
An 82-year-old man from Berkshire has been arrested on suspicion of sexual offences as part of a probe related to the Jimmy Savile inquiry, the Metropolitan Police have said.
The man, who has not been named by police, is one of 11 people arrested so far as part of Operation Yewtree.
It was set up in the wake of the Savile scandal, but the arrest is part of the strand looking at complaints against people not connected to the late DJ.
The man was bailed to a date in May.
The Met have not disclosed what time the arrest was made on Thursday, but released a statement just after 23:30 GMT on Thursday.
They said the arrest fell under the strand of the investigation they have termed "others".
Following the death of BBC DJ and television presenter Savile in 2011, hundreds of sex abuse allegations came to light.
Last month a Met Police report said he had abused adults and children across the country over more than five decades. The NSPCC said Savile, who was 84 when he died, had been one of the most prolific sex offenders in its 129-year history.
Operation Yewtree is the Met's investigation into the allegations that have arisen since Savile was accused of abuse.
It has three strands:
- One is looking specifically at the actions of Savile
- The second strand concerns allegations against "Savile and others"
- The third - named "others" - relates to alleged complaints against other people unconnected to the Jimmy Savile investigations
Ten people have been arrested and one suspect was interviewed under caution.
High-profile names held in connection with the investigation are PR consultant Max Clifford, comedian Freddie Starr, DJ Dave Lee Travis and comedian Jim Davidson - who all deny any wrongdoing. Gary Glitter, 69, whose real name is Paul Gadd, who was also arrested, has not yet made a statement.
Earlier this week, police said a former BBC producer who was held as part of the operation would face no further charges.
Wilfred De'Ath was arrested last year in Cambridgeshire over an allegation of indecent assault on a girl in the 60s.
He is the first suspect held under Operation Yewtree that the Crown Prosecution Service has made a decision on.