Deadly mushrooms: What you need to know


A coroner has issued a warning after a woman died from eating one of the world's most deadly mushrooms, picked from her Somerset garden.

Christina Hale, 57, had gathered the fungi to improve a tin of soup, unaware that eating just half of one could be fatal.

The mother-of-four died of multiple organ failure. Her husband, who only had one bowl, survived.

The west Somerset coroner described the case as "very tragic", as he warned of the dangers of picking wild mushrooms.

Chef Mark Lloyd explains how to forage for mushrooms safely.

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.