Lee Rigby murder: Bailed man denies involvement

Drummer Lee Rigby Drummer Lee Rigby was killed last Wednesday in Woolwich

A man arrested in connection with the murder of soldier Lee Rigby has denied any involvement in the killing.

Hayden Allen, 21, was held on Saturday on suspicion of conspiracy to commit murder, but was later released on bail.

In a statement issued by his lawyer, Mr Allen said he had "no prior knowledge" and "played no part" in the attack.

Mr Allen is reportedly a Muslim convert who attended the same mosque as murder suspects Michael Adebolajo and Michael Adebowale.

Police searched a number of properties in south-east London after Mr Allen's arrest, one of which is understood to be his parents' home in Thamesmead.

'Atrocity'

His statement said his family were "wholly uninvolved" in Mr Rigby's death in Woolwich last week.

Mr Allen, who was detained in Greenwich by police using a Taser, called the murder an "atrocity" and added: "I have been greatly distressed by all that has occurred."

Meanwhile, a post-mortem examination has found that Drummer Rigby died of "multiple incised wounds".

On Tuesday Mr Adebowale, 22, was discharged from hospital and taken into police custody.

He will be questioned about Drummer Rigby's murder, and has also been formally arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of a police officer.

Both suspects were shot by police at the scene in Woolwich and Mr Adebolajo remains in hospital, where his condition is said to be stable.

Eight other people, including Mr Allen, have been arrested in connection with the attack so far. Six have been bailed and two released without charge.

Return to duty

The Independent Police Complaints Commission is investigating the circumstances surrounding the shooting of the two men.

It said two police officers had fired gunshots and one had used a Taser in the incident.

Meanwhile, Scotland Yard said the three officers could be back on operational duty "fairly quickly".

Ch Supt Alistair Sutherland said they were currently going through the police's "post-incident process" along with two of their commanders.

He said that, given the circumstances of the incident, he expected they would return to full duties in the coming weeks.

The Metropolitan Police said it was standard procedure to withdraw officers temporarily from operational duty while an incident involving use of their weapons was investigated.

More on This Story

Lee Rigby verdict

More UK stories

RSS

Features & Analysis

  • Man holding lipWitch hunt

    The country where a writer accused of blasphemy must run


  • Espresso cupNews quiz

    Which city serves the strongest cup of coffee?


  • A woman's stomach with the words "I love IDF"'War porn'?

    Support - and disdain - for women posting sexy selfies for the IDF


  • Malaysian plane wreckage in UkraineFlight risk

    How odd is it to have three plane crashes in eight days?


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Canada.Hidden rail trip

    Canada's tiny, two-car shuttle is a train lover's dream with scenic views

Programmes

  • Leader of Hamas Khaled MeshaalHARDtalk Watch

    BBC exclusive: Hamas leader on the eagerness to end bloodshed in Gaza

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.