Eastbourne Pier blaze: Arson probe launched by police

Police have asked members of the public for pictures and videos of the pier before the fire broke out, as Piers Hopkirk reports

Related Stories

A fire that ripped through Eastbourne Pier is now feared to have been started deliberately.

The blaze on Wednesday afternoon destroyed about a third of the 1,000ft (300m) long structure.

Sussex Police said the force had received information suggesting the fire was started by someone "either deliberately or accidently".

The BBC understands there is "clear evidence" the fire was sparked in an arson attack.

At its height, up to 80 firefighters, together with RNLI crews, tackled the blaze on the 144-year-old, Grade II-listed pier.

David Cameron praises the "incredible bravery" of the emergency services

Det Insp Mark O'Brien of Sussex Police said: "As a result of our investigation we have received information to suggest that the fire may have been started by someone... and our investigation is now focusing on that line of inquiry."

He said a temporary platform had been erected close to where the fire was thought to have been started to help investigators access the area.

The revelation came shortly after Prime Minister David Cameron and Chancellor George Osborne visited the pier.

The prime minister said the pier was insured and that its owners want to rebuild it.

Fire on Eastbourne Pier Lifeboats from Eastbourne, Hastings and Newhaven were launched in case anyone had jumped off the pier
Fire on Eastbourne Pier Tourists and locals thronged the beach to watch the pier gradually become engulfed in flames
Eastbourne pier on fire The fire broke out at the promenade end of the 144-year-old pier

Wednesday's fire broke out behind some wood panelling in the arcade building, sending huge plumes of smoke into the air.

The scene was described by one onlooker as an "absolute red, molten mess of flame and smoke".

Police have asked people to submit pictures or video footage taken at the entrance or on the pier in the hours before the fire started.

Supt Laurence Taylor said: "The area around and under the pier is still very hazardous and there is a security team deployed to stop people putting themselves in danger."

More on This Story

Related Stories

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external Internet sites

BBC Sussex

Weather

Brighton

Min. Night 1 °C

Features & Analysis

  • TricycleTreasure trove

    The lost property shop stuffed with diamonds, bikes... and a leg


  • Boris Nemtsov'I loved Nemtsov'

    A murder in an atmosphere of hatred and intolerance


  • Image of George from Tube CrushTube crush

    How London's male commuters set Chinese hearts racing


  • INDHUJA'Dorky tomboy'

    The Indian who attracted proposals through honesty


Elsewhere on the BBC

  • Audi R8Best in show

    BBC Autos takes a look at 10 of the most eye-catching new cars at the 2015 Geneva motor show

Programmes

  • Kinetic sculpture violinClick Watch

    The "kinetic sculpture" that can replicate digital files and play them on a violin

Try our new site and tell us what you think. Learn more
Take me there

Copyright © 2015 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.