Dave Lee Travis given suspended sentence
Former BBC Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis has been given a suspended sentence of three months for indecently assaulting a woman in 1995.
The 69-year-old had been found guilty of attacking a researcher who was working on TV's Mrs Merton Show.
Judge Anthony Leonard told Travis: "It was an intentional and unpleasant sexual assault."
Travis, of Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, had been cleared of a 1990 indecent assault and a 2008 sexual assault.
He was being retried for these two charges after jurors could not reach a verdict on them at a trial earlier this year, during which he was cleared of 12 indecent assault charges.
Following sentencing, Travis said he was "mortified" and "really disappointed" over his conviction.
Travis, a former Top of the Pops presenter, cornered the woman in the corridor of a television studio where she was smoking and commented on her "poor little lungs" before squeezing her breasts for 10 to 15 seconds.
In a victim impact statement, which was read out at London's Southwark Crown Court ahead of his sentencing, the victim said: "I was a naive and trusting 22-year-old when I was subjected to an unprovoked and terrifying physical assault at my place of work.
"I was too paralysed with fear to confront my assailant."
The woman said she felt "lucky" that she was "physically resilient" enough to get on with her life "thanks largely to my colleagues".
She said the process of remembering the incident still took her back to "feeling like a scared, vulnerable young woman".
"Being called a liar and fantasist and being forced to recall the evidence in court has been painful," she said.
The woman, who chose to retain her anonymity, told the court that she would not claim compensation "now or in the future".
"I simply wanted to tell the truth," she said.
Judge Leonard - who suspended Travis's sentence for two years - said: "It was an intentional and unpleasant sexual assault.
"You took advantage of a young woman in a vulnerable position whose job it was to look after you that day."
However, the judge said the prosecution's case that Travis had "a propensity to commit indecent assaults" had "not been made out".
Travis said after leaving court that the case should never have been brought against him.
"With millions of pounds of taxpayers' money, thousands of hours of police resources, the judge accepted today that the Crown had failed to prove their case against me - namely that I was a sexual predator," he said.
On Tuesday, the jury at Southwark Crown Court found Travis not guilty of the 1990 indecent assault and could not reach a verdict over the sexual assault charge.
Travis, who was tried under his real name David Griffin, appeared on BBC Radio 1 for more than 25 years until 1993 and was a regular host of Top of the Pops.