UK

Dave Lee Travis sentence to be reviewed

Dave Lee Travis outside Southwark Crown Court on Friday after being given a suspended sentence Image copyright John Stillwell/PA Wire
Image caption Dave Lee Travis leaving court on Friday after being given a suspended sentence

The three-month suspended sentence given to former BBC Radio 1 DJ Dave Lee Travis is to be reviewed by the attorney general's office.

The 69-year-old was sentenced on Friday after being found guilty of indecently assaulting a TV researcher on the Mrs Merton Show in 1995.

The attorney general's office said four people had complained that the sentence was "unduly lenient".

It will now consider whether to refer the sentence to the court of appeal.

Travis - who was tried under his real name, David Griffin - was convicted by a 10-2 majority verdict on Tuesday last week.

'Too lenient'

Sentencing him at Southwark Crown Court on Friday, the judge, Anthony Leonard QC, said Travis had committed "an intentional and unpleasant sexual assault."

And he told the former DJ that he had taken advantage of a young woman in a vulnerable position.

But he said the prosecution's case that Travis had "a propensity to commit indecent assaults" had not been made out, and ruled that the three-month jail term should be suspended for two years.

A spokeswoman for the attorney general's office confirmed to the BBC that on the day of the sentencing it had been contacted by four members of the public complaining that the sentence was too lenient.

Image copyright AFP/Getty
Image caption Dave Lee Travis leaving court with his wife Marianne
Image copyright EPA/WILL OLIVER
Image caption Travis was told in court that he had made "an unpleasant sexual attack"

Under the Unduly Lenient Sentence scheme, anyone can complain about sentences handed down in England and Wales.

The spokeswoman said: "We will be asking the CPS (Crown Prosecution Service) to send us more information on this particular case so that a law officer (the attorney general or solicitor general) can decide if the sentence should be referred to the Court of Appeal."

Attorney General Jeremy Wright MP and Solicitor General Robert Buckland MP have until 24 October to decide whether or not to refer the case to the court.

Cleared of charges

After being sentenced on Friday, Travis claimed that the case should never have been brought against him.

He said: "With millions of pounds of taxpayers' money, thousands of hours of police resources, the judge accepted today that the Crown had failed to prove their case against me - namely that I was a sexual predator."

He was cleared of two other charges, an alleged indecent assault from 1990, and an alleged sexual assault from 2008.

He was being retried on those two charges after jurors could not reach a verdict on them earlier this year.

Travis was cleared of 12 indecent assault charges during the earlier trial.

Travis appeared on BBC Radio 1 for more than 25 years until 1993 and was a regular host of Top of the Pops.

More on this story